Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Awhile back someone posted a pic of surrendering Japanese troops coming in with U.S. M1917 Enfields. So there's that, at least. Also remember seeing a pic of a Browning .30-cal machinegun captured by American Marines on Guam. And on Axis History Forum there are pics of Japanese troops in China with Czech ZB-26 LMGs.

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
issued weapons are different than captured weapons, so the answer you are looking for may be different depending on what you are looking for. captured weapons would include anything Chinese, British, Aussie, US, Dutch, etc.

Issued rifles may only be a handful to include the VZ 24, Type I (although it would be a foreign contract rifle), etc.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Are you looking for just the weapons purchased by Japan or captured weapons too? I'm sure they picked up and used any weapon they encountered when they had a use for them. Do you want to include British Naval rifles both purchased and captured? A more specific question would help.

Like Type 94 pointed out while I was typing! And stated more clearly!!! :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's war time and very chaotic. You over run and capture any weapon available or superior. Or are you asking about issued rifles before going into war? In that case I would image maybe a little different.

I know the Germans captured and issued all weapons available. So I'm sure the Pacific conflict was no different.

Bob

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Here is an SMLE being used. I'm going to say it's probably SNLF because they made .303 for some of their machine guns.
And here's some SNLF with an ANM2 Browning.

The Japanese captured and reused M1917s and Dutch Mannlicher. I've heard some were even modified to accept a T30 bayonet.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to know issued. sorry for such a open question. I know the Japanese would use lots of captured weapons.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
They also purchased under contract Czech Model 24s (Vz24) and some German 98k (15,000?) rifles, although I have never seen one of the later with provenance. The Japanese issued a manual for three Mauser 98 variations the aforementioned two and a third that is labeled as the "Standard Model." Maybe these were captured Chinese rifles???? Can anyone comment on this last point???

Frank

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,511 Posts
They also purchased under contract Czech Model 24s (Vz24) and some German 98k (15,000?) rifles, although I have never seen one of the later with provenance. The Japanese issued a manual for three Mauser 98 variations the aforementioned two and a third that is labeled as the "Standard Model." Maybe these were captured Chinese rifles???? Can anyone comment on this last point???

Frank
The Japanese Navy purchased 40,000 VZ24 rifles in 1938 (and also Type I rifles). The Japanese Army captured all three types in China: VZ24, K98k, and Standard Modell rifles. The main Chinese rifle, the Chiang Kai Shek, was a Standard Modell clone.

Regards,
Bill

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
I've posted before a photo of a couple Japanese surrendering with M1917/P-14s in hand. I think, that if they had access to it and an appropriate amount of ammunition, they would put it to some sort of use. Just like the Germans, but not as well documented.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I believe the 98k rifles were marked with the Mauser banner. (Mo [Mauser] Model II to the Japanese)

I was thinking that the Standard Model - ie Mo Model I to the Japanese were captured rifles from China, but maybe they were also contract rifles?????? Anyone have any ideas???

Frank

·
15,511 Posts
Ronin48 wrote "Japan purchased 20,000 K98ks, S/42, 1937 and 1938. Reference, Richard D Law and Walter Schmid Dipl-Ing. (FH) (?) Copyright 1992, copies were self-published, printed at KINKO'S, 601 Terry Parkway, Suite A, Gretna, LA 70056." and "The book is a page or two introduction followed by the original German specifications for the Japanese K98k and an English translation. Law notes that the specifications call for the K98ks for Japan be pulled "at random" from the assembly line to insure the Japanese were getting the same quality rifles as the German troops. Nothing like trust between "friends.""

Jon Speed wrote "Just for info I went over my 1938 Mauser/Japan contract data and have the very interesting clearance letter that had to go to the WaA to explain that the Mauser firm was selling the 20,000 98k to Japan which came direct from the Wehrmacht production series then on order! All the Jap 98k were marked exactly as the normal German Army examples!!! If you need a copy of this let me know as it is from 1938/39 period and shows the procedures that had to be followed to do such exports at this time etc."

Bruce 98k wrote "The big difference between the Chinese and Jap contracts is that the Chinese contracts as a rule did not use HwA inspected parts (mostly 2nd tier and reject parts), while as Jon stated, the Jap contract was pulled from standard military production. Also the Chinese will have the nationalist emblem stamped on the rec and stock."

Regular production K98k rifles would have no Mauser banner. The only Standard Modell rifles the Japanese had would have been captured from China. My Chinese K98k rifle has a Mauser banner.

Regards,
Bill

·
15,511 Posts
Mauser banner on Chinese K98k.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts