Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how long other folks leave the white acrylic stick "paste/chalk" in their barrel-shank marks? Once you put it on - do you just leave it in perpetuity? Or, do you immediately wipe it off when you are done with photos etc. Thanks.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
I just leave it there until I want to take another picture that I don't want to have it in. For example, I whited in a bunch of import marks for that page on my site. Of course I don't want those to show in typical pictures, but I don't clean them up until I need another picture. Sometimes I even just clean them up with Photoshop instead of actually cleaning them if I don't notice until I've already taken the picture. ;)

·
Administrator
19,278 Posts
Forever=thats why I use "Paint Stik" and if I want to remove it I use paint thinner and it just disolves.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
69,310 Posts
Never take mine off, though some disappear with age.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I hate the stuff & wish nobody would use any form of it. I think it tends to interfere with certain aspects of "judging" markings. Good pictures, no need. Vic & Ted, for example, have proven many times that they can give us very clear pictures.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Steve, on nearly all my pictures lately I've been using it and I'm much happier with the results. However, I think we agree in a way. The pictures I use on my site are intended to be representative of any rifle with the particular marks being pictured. I will freely admit that I touch up the marks in Photoshop, even with the highlighting, to achieve this. However, if I were photographing a rifle to sell I would never touch up the pictures and would not highlight the marks.

It's very difficult to get a good picture of marks without highlighting them unless you intentionally throw some light across them to create shadows in the stamps. The trade off is you usually end up with glare on the surface of the barrel, which can be misleading as to the degree of finish left on the rifle.

Compare the barrel picture in the Japanese Remington thread to the ones in the M39 thread. These pictures were taken with the same settings and lighting. Night and day IMO. Also, you can barely make out the numbers on the buttplate on the Remington. I didn't want to highlight them because I am trying to depict the actual rifle in this case and not just a representative example. It took me a couple of dozen pictures to get that one shot that is acceptable and still I'm really not happy with it. If I'd highlighted the numbers it would have been a single take and done.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I hear ya. Some folks prefer make up and a bit of clothing. I like it raw & naked!

·
Premium Member
105,713 Posts
I hear ya. Some folks prefer make up and a bit of clothing. I like it raw & naked!

I hear thats the way Brent likes you too. :eek:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
S of a B. I started out with a perfectly wonderful picture in my mind. Now this. Please consider that "raw & naked" comment officially retracted. You are all lucky I don't post an appropriate picture right now! I will never get naked around you guys, uh, again.

·
Premium Member
105,713 Posts
Im still getting a laugh out of it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts