Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Empress of the Underworld and Diamond Bullet Membe
39,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I appoligize if this has been addressed in this forum, but I don't get in here as much as I should and I havn't seen anything. If it has, please post a link.

The Gunny and I have been storing canned goods in our basement (about 70' year round). I have noticed some items only have expirations dates out about a year from purchase. We are rotating our stock, but to store up as much as I would like, we can't possibly eat them that fast.

I remember my mom and grandparents had canned food stored the whole time I was growing up and I am sure they kept their canned goods around longer than a year or two.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
some canned goods have a considerable

shelf life f'rinstance . salmon (5 years)

many average 2 years. I personally

wouldnt go past the exp date. I think dry

foods could go a bit further though.

there are companies that make 10 year shelf life

supplies

FIVESHOT

·
Silver Bullet member
52,962 Posts
if hungrey cook it well eat it all.

tell they swell, or when opened smell bad, or have discoloration or mold, or if they leek.:p
mom once opened a tin canned beef in its own liquid from ww 2 tin.
- a neighbor gave her it been keep in a cool pantry in the basement.
- she gave all of it- 8 lbs to our dog, it smelled wonderful and looked great in color and texture, can silver with Dept of agricultures black writing.
dog ate two days better then we did on this, was in the early 1970's. it looked smelled better than any canned beef today the refrigerator smelled of it.:grin:
in shtf i would have cooked it and ate it. <><dk

·
Administrator
17,980 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not just shelf life but let some of your favotite canned stuff freeze to -20 or even -30 and then try it. It turns it to mush! Also, ya wanna have some foods that are easily chewed up and eaten on the run/ski when it's that cold. Try eatin a candy bar thats frozen solid. Besides, canned food is real heavy to hump.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have found canned soup is good to about 4 years. Ramen is good for years and years but the lil packets of flavor go bad after about 5 years. Canned vegtables take about 6 years to really go bad. Depending on the canner. But for my tastes for anything in a can is about 4 years max. The expiration date on the can really doesnt mean anything. But it does help to know how long its been in the can.

·
39,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
39,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not just shelf life but let some of your favotite canned stuff freeze to -20 or even -30 and then try it. It turns it to mush! Also, ya wanna have some foods that are easily chewed up and eaten on the run/ski when it's that cold. Try eatin a candy bar thats frozen solid. Besides, canned food is real heavy to hump.
The canned goods we have stored are for SHTF scenario one that we believe has the greatest chance of happening. That is some sort of natural disaster or civil unrest which wont require us leaving home, but instead surviving at home without being able to go to the store. SHTF scenario two inlcudes bug out (a lot less likely) and different supplies are saved for that (MRE's etc.).

·
Registered
583 Posts
i have ate campbells chunky soup yr &half past date still good, tho thickened in can from fresh. i have ate some of my homemade picante sauce 4 yrs after i canned it still good. in both instances items were stored in pantry relatively cool and even temps, out of light. i think high acid foods would be longer lasting than low acid, storage temps high factor in length of 'good' long as can ain't bulged and you boil it for several minutes it should be good.
i

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm still eating all kinds of canned stuff I bought the day after 9/11/01. Haven't run across a single can, regardless of what it is, that has gone bad in the can. Naturally, I always check for buldged cans &/or rancid smell after opening - no buldges or bad smells yet. This is just my experience - your results may vary.

Netherwolf

1 - 14 of 14 Posts