Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as I have plenty of time on my hands for the next few months at least,the Monkey and I are looking for something to do. The model 46a that I saw last week with the wide forend keeps haunting me. It just felt too good. But it has a couple of tang cracks along each side of the tang cut out. How hard of a job is it to repair these problems? What way would you go about doing it? Any good reference material out there?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If they are not too extensive, easy. I've done a few.

Various ways.

You can drill out an area inside the crack from inside the action area in the stock, then drill a relief hole and take a syringe filled with Acraglas and inject it in the hole until the excess squirts out the relife hole {put there so there are no air pockets in the repair}.

I've even drilled a simple hole from the top of the wrist, angling the drill side-to-side so there is only a small hole at the top, then injected Acraglas in there. In that case the relief hole is inside the action area.

If quite serios, you can stick a reverse clamp inside the stock, spread the wrist outward and, you guessed it...inject Acraglas.

A long brass screw can be inserted sideways thru the wrist if you like. For that I've injected the Acraglas in the crack, then placed the clamp on normally, squeezing the wrist together, drilling the hole, running the long screw in and filing off the ends of the screw and dressing down carefully with a file. A nice neat job can be done of it and all you see is two brass "dots" on the sides of the stock. Beware, do not run a screw thru without first clamping the stock as if you do, the screw will actually spread the stock on its way thru. Done that. You don't want to... :)

I'm sure others do it differently, but these are the methods I have used and all have remained stable, not just on HVA guns, but others as well.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I agree with most of what LeeSpeed said. With a bad crack, I would heal it with Accraglas and install a hidden (when possible) brass screw.

If it is just a tiny beginning crack and the stock is reasonably clean I've had good results using Insta-Cure CA glue instead of Accraglas. either the free flowing or the gap filling type, depending on how brave I am feeling at the moment... ;) The gluing and squeezing together of the crack immediately followed by a shower of CA glue Accellerator from same company.

And most of the time with cracked stocks, I would probably bed the action, as the main reason for all the cracked Swede stock is either over tightened or neglected (loose) action screws. In either case, the wood is often damaged, so a bedding is a good way to avoid future problems.

Pettson

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Woodbeef,

This one may need some reinforcement if the crack is from the top to the bottom. I use Epoxy glue with good results, too.
There is a one trick the guys did not talk about and it's quite well suited for large cracks; you drill a hole trough (side by side), then use a Chicago type screw with the heads hidden on a counterbore made from a Forstner type drill. You glue everything in Epoxy, Acraglass or whatever you want, then you plug the holes with walnut plugs. When well executed, it's quite nice looking. Or just have a good gunsmith do it.
The lightweight rifle below had a broken trigger/ magazine web repaired in that way, it looks better than on the pictures, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.