Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gotta question for ya guys. Im sure it has been posted before, but I can't find it on here.

Hows the STEEL CASED STUFF acting in your mausers and mosins?
Is the LACQUER COATING screwing with your bolts? Is the cleanup horrendous in your chambers after a good shoot?
Tell me whatcha think.

I'm thinking of dropping the hammer on a few purchases, but not if it's going to gunk up my weapons. Thanks.

(This has nothing to do with brass cased ammo. I already know how brass works.. we've been shooting brass ammo for over a hundreds years. )

·
Registered
675 Posts
The Wolf Gold does just fine. I've shot it in calibers ranging from .303 British, 7.62x54r, 8mm Mauser, and .30/06 Springfield. Never had a problem with it, but if I recall correctly, that has a brass case. The steel cased Wolf stuff I've only shot in 7.62x39 never had too many problems with it except for stove-pipe stoppages. I think the steel cased Wolf is dirtier than the brass cased, but it's nowhere near as bad in 8mm as my 1939 Turkish milsurp.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The brass cased Wolf isn't too bad. I actually think it's one of the best deals around. While I don't order from Cheaper than Dirt, I do know they carry both kinds so you might want to check out their website to get an idea as to the cost.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
I have not had any problems when shooting Wolf regardless of caliber. The Wolf Gold is good ammo and boxer primed so hang onto your spent brass if you're thinking about reloading in the future...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I shoot plenty of Wolf Gold in 7.62x54R and 7.5x55 Swiss. I've always had good luck with it and the cases are great for reloading. I've only fired a few steel cases of Wolf .308 years ago and some 7.62x39. I never had problems with the steel-cased stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I shoot the Wolf gold in 7.62x54R brass case and have had no problems at all. some of my 8mm milsurp steel case stuff shoots pretty dirty tho. steel case in 7.62x39 Wolf brand seems to work just fine in SKS and in the civilian AK47. Ive had the AK ejector severely dent brass cases tho.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wolf ammo results

I can't say that I am overly impressed with any of the wolf rifle ammo that I have used. The .308 is dirty and only fair for accuracy in my CETME, which gives great acuracy with other ammo (SA, Portugese, Norinco). The wolf gold 7.62X54 does not shoot well in any of my M39's or 91/30's.
Some of my SKS's give acceptable results with the 7.62X39 HP ammo.
The only good thing is that I have never had a misfire using wolf.
This is my experience.
George1108.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,490 Posts
I've shot Wolf polymer coated steel M1 carbine. The ammo functioned reliably and grouped commendably at 300 yards. (Yes, I shoot an M1 carbine at 300 yards.) My only complaint is that it is dirty ammo and takes a lot more time and effort to clean up than GI surplus or S&B.

I've also shot Barnaul Silver Bear 7.62x54R in my M39 and M27. This is zinc plated steel case ammo. I experience hard unlocking with this ammo about every 5-6th round. I have to give the bolt handle a good hard slap to open. This ammo is also fairly dirty, and is only good for shooting out to 200 yards; dispersion at 300 yards is very pronounced.

My choice at the moment is Prvi Partizan for my Finns. I would never fire lacquered steel case ammo in them.

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,027 Posts
I've fired thousands of rounds of the lacquered steel-cased stuff in years past, I had several cases jammed in the chamber of a pre-ban Colt AR-15 many years ago, so I stopped using it in my AR-15's. Other than that, I've had excellent results with 9mm, 7.62x39 and .308 as far as reliabliity goes, accuracy is OK overall but it is dirty ammunition. No complaints for the price at the time, I used to fire it by the caseload. It's hard to come by in bulk anymore at ANY price (which is very high).

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Just put a box through the early M1 carbine I picked up last summer. I had one problem with a failed to eject at the very bottom of a 30 round mag and nothing else. It seemed very accurate at 50 yards and passable at 100 yards. It reached 350 with very little accuracy but that would be expected. This was the steel cased stuff by the way. Price was a good buy when I picked it up last summer but have no idea what it might be like now. I was pleasently surprised to say the least with it. Bill

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wolf Gold is very good ammo, it is made by Prvi Partizan in Serbia, one of two main manufacturers of Yugo milsurp ammo. On the other hand, the Wolf Black Box ammo is less than spectacular, I had a box that was corrosive.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,739 Posts
Okay guys, he's NOT ASKING ABOUT WOLF GOLD! :p That stuff is brass-cased Prvi Partisan ammo. He's asking about steel-cased ammo.

I've used lots of it in many calibers and have had very good success. Even my AR15s eat it up like candy.

It is dirtier. The steel casing doesn't seal the chamber as well as brass so your chamber gets fouled sooner. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LACQUER. For the price, I am happy to clean a little more in-depth. Keep your chamber spotless and you shouldn't have extraction problems.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,490 Posts
Okay guys, he's NOT ASKING ABOUT WOLF GOLD! :p That stuff is brass-cased Prvi Partisan ammo. He's asking about steel-cased ammo.

I've used lots of it in many calibers and have had very good success. Even my AR15s eat it up like candy.

It is dirtier. The steel casing doesn't seal the chamber as well as brass so your chamber gets fouled sooner. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LACQUER. For the price, I am happy to clean a little more in-depth. Keep your chamber spotless and you shouldn't have extraction problems.
I mentioned earlier good results with the polymer steel M1 carbine ammo. I tried a box .45 in my SIG-Sauer P220. I might as well have been shooting a smoothbore. This Wolf did not hunt. Even from a rest at 25 yards I could get nothing even suggesting a group. Apparently the deficient case mouth seal with the polymer coated steel cases manifests itself differently with different calibers.

·
Registered
234 Posts
steel cases

Evensville arsenal made billions of steel cased 45 acp during WW2,and after that made 30 carbine steel cased.
The germans used steel cased 8 mm during WW2 also.
just a bit of history to those that might not know that.:rolleyes: :eek: :D

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The only steel cased Wolf I've ever had problems with is 45ACP, due to a tight chamber in the Kimber I fired (attempted) it in.

Many thousands of 7.62x54, 7.62x39, 223, 308, 30 carbine, have all been digested without a hitch by my collection over many years. Cleanup is no problem. I find the carbine ammo to be dirtier that the others.. Accuracy varies with the gun. 150 gr and 180gr 7.62x54 is my ammo of choice for my Mosins. BeSwift

·
Silver Bullet member
55,178 Posts
only problem ever had zinc223 wolf in my very accurate 24 in fluted barrel bushmaster

accuracy 2 inches at 200 yards with federal varmint, changed over to wolf zinc and couldn't hit 2 foot wide steel targets-went to paper at 50 yards, off bench, 5 or six inch groups randomly all over the paper.:eek:, but all others Ive used gave reasonable accuracy at reasonable ranges for cheaper prices with no ill affect:cool:<>< dk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.