Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to pile three SMLEs. Check out the photos - did I do it correctly?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Certainly looks right to me. A little hint though, run your sling the other way with the adjustment from the muzzle end.
Great pictures.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Piling Arms

Interesting drill procedure.

I have this little WW2 pamphlet called 'Rifle Exercises Simplified' dated 1942. It was apparently meant for private purchase. Describes all the rifle drill with the SMLE and basic stripping and cleaning. Also paying compliments with arms, changing arms at the slope on the march.....etc.

There are 2 and 1/2 pages on the exercise called 'piling arms'...it goes on and on with descriptions of what is done by the two ranks turning inwards, then the odd men and even men of the front rank and opposing ranks...grasping rifles by the nosecap lifting vertically and linking up swivels etc...taking one pace sideways and one pace to the rear....!!!! :) Sadly there are no photos or diagramms...(strange because just about every other rifle drill in the book has pics...)

Anyway there is an equally complex description of how to 'un pile arms'...I can imagine all this being practiced on the parade ground...with much merriment from most diggers I bet.... and it doesnt take much imagination to think of the dramas when the rifles were needed in a hurry....

As everyone probably knows later models of the No.1 Mk111 etc nosecap didnt have provision for the swivel....and the No.4 (as issued) never did...except for trials versions??? But the drill was apparently still in force at least as late as 1942 as evidenced by this book.

This link gives the American version of the exercise which apparently continued on much longer...all the M1Garands had these 'stacking' swivels.....

http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/ww2/idr_squad_drill.htm

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whiterider - neat info! I agree diagrams would be helpful, though. Any chance you have this in .pdf form?

·
Banned
904 Posts
Piling arms

Swaffield...I'm going to scan it and a few others and maybe post 'em the way Edward Horton has....

If ya do a net google search just on 'piling arms' you can find all the British Infantry drills and procedures and a lot of the American ones too.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I wonder if it's the same as we 'stacked arms' in the Corps. We had M1 rifles and stacked by using the stacking swivels. No biggie then.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Stacking arms

Yep...I guess you had the M1 during your service. As far as I know the M14 (issued in the early 1960's??) didnt have a stacking swivel so I guess the drill disappeared then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts