Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,410 Posts
Bore wear,pitting,finish wear,dirty,has anything custom on it not original to the firearm.
You can also smell the firearm, if you get an odd acid smell(gpowder) its been used.

But the best way is to just ask the person your buying.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
With an AK type I would recommend removing the bolt carrier, and inspect the face of the gas piston. If it has been fired there will usually be some sign of carbon residue. Look inside the handguard tube for carbon deposit too. Most people do not clean this area well. While you're at it, look at the bolt face. Often there is some primer seal residue or maybe some minute metal shavings from cycled rounds. All of should be easily done with a basic field strip inspection and good lighting.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
HcB, why the concern. if it's sold from a dealer and advertised as new, it should be, why doubt them. if it's new or like new should'nt really matter unless you're looking for an unfired firearm to top off a collection or something. what "gun" are you refering to, be a little more specific and we may can give you better info.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,063 Posts
Well if you have an honest seller, they'll tell you used or new. If not, use the rule of thumb: Pawnshop is used, store like Academy or Walmart is new. Other stores are some point in between.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
its a beretta 92fs and yea it was dirty on the inside and seemed to have bullet impressions around the firing pin. the reason for the concern is because i paid for "new". i guess you're right it really doesnt matter if new or used however if it is used i would like to get the "used" price. it was at a gun show and the guy working didnt seem to know much about guns just a helper... i guess im paranoid haha

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
HcB, a new beretta should'nt be dirty on the inside. buying at a gunshow, it's hit or miss, the dealer could have been told it was new, bought it 30 minutes earlier, and passed along what he knew, or thought he knew. i love berettas, got a stainless in 9 and a black 40. let us know how it shoots.

·
Copper Bullet member
980 Posts
Take it out and test fire it, if fires it's used....
That says it all!!! All new firearms are test fired, so therefore, used, in a sense. All of the above members have provided good examples to abide by, when judging if a firearm is "new", or "used". I love to hear somebody say it's "never been fired", what a joke! A little common sense goes a loooooong way.
Michael

·
Silver Bullet Member
6,112 Posts
its a beretta 92fs and yea it was dirty on the inside and seemed to have bullet impressions around the firing pin. the reason for the concern is because i paid for "new". i guess you're right it really doesnt matter if new or used however if it is used i would like to get the "used" price. it was at a gun show and the guy working didnt seem to know much about guns just a helper... i guess im paranoid haha

Do YOU really want to be the first person to fire a brand new firearm. Think about it. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts