Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have several original 1840/1860 cav sabers and some have the "trooper bent forward" quillion on them. I wanna get into CW re-enacting doing a Michigan federal cavalrymen and want my replica 1860 saber to have his feature as well.

However, I cant find any historical sources that explain how this procedure was done, I highly doubt that the Federal Gov. sword contracters did this for a few enlisted men who wanted it.............but more likely the men did it themselves as a means to make the saber gaurd more comfortable to their liking.

Being that the gaurd is brass, it should bend forward, but how should I go about it?? Perhapts some low torch heat to heat up the quillion before bending it?

Curious if anybody else has ever done this, and how you did it, and the results you had.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Whatever you do, go slow. Brass is very brittle. I'd put the face of the guard on a solid surface, and use a rubber mallet. That way, you can't "overbend". That's when brass breaks. Look closely from time to time, between whacks. If you see the brass getting a lighter color, it's about to break.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll probably end up using some heat on the quillion.....before working with it.

I've experimented before with brass...(INDIA brass), and found it to vary in quality.......some you can hammer to form the way you want it (without heat)........but other stuff is really cheap "sand cast" and it can break easily........

My big concern is how far forward I can bend the quillion

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Heating brass wil not make it easier to bend unless you anneal it. Heat it up red hot then quench it in water, that will anneal it to where its easier to bend. However, that imported Indian brass is not always the best wuality alloy, I cannot guess its make up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.