Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A review of the rarity chart on Brother T's site got me to wondering about that. Are the no date/no manufacturer examples all post-war, then? How did they get into their current, enigmatic ID status..?

Thanks for the answers...

Scott

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,530 Posts
I think they were built right after the war and were some of the first post war builds from spare parts followed by the '48' rifles and then the 60's dated pieces. This is based upon nothing but supposition so take it for what you will.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If they assembled them in numerical order, they would be after the dated ones. My 1970 is 304859 and my no date is 507013. Or is that just coincidental?
twerpy.

·
Registered
770 Posts
So now I'm cunfused? I always thought Vic and Tuco made them in the basement.

·
Premium Member
105,713 Posts
For a guy who's so particular about nomenclature, I'm surprised to see you use that term. ;)

Unless I'm not picking up your sarcasm...
I was thinking the same thing!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,530 Posts
These were leftover blanks completed later.
Blanks used later meaning just after the war or after the 60's and 70's dated rifles?

My gut on these has always been that they were one of the first to be produced from left over parts post war. The serial numbers are all over the place and with no markings to denote where they were made or the date it does kind of work with the "sneak" theory. Regardless, my strongest argument for the timeframe they were built is that most I have seen are slightly worn but were definitly used. Most 60's and 70's rifles you see are mint from storage. Why build rifles to use when you have some in storage you are not even using? Same goes with the '48' rifles, I have always thought these were made in 1948 and most I have encountered have seen use. Input?

·
Administrator
19,285 Posts
REad the m/39 section-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts