Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More pics forthwith...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re; How did i do?

Some more pics, one more attachment coming....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last batch...

So I picked this up at a private estate sale today, numbers obviously matching down to the cleaning rod, screws, etc. The main problem seems to be the weird wood damage around the recoil lug and bands. However the stock is of course original as well.
Bore is bright, wood to metal fit surprisingly tight.

Opinions as to worth? I paid $600.00, no paper.

Attachments

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
It's NOT a K98.

They are called M.937

USED to be VERY common here in Australia. Owned a few, now none - sadly. My last one I sold for $850 Aus (about $750 US). I regret it - it was matching 100%, lovely bore, near perfect wood. Even had correct series bayonet for it.

My first one I ever owned was serialled C19995, and it was THE first centrefire rifle I bought, at the tender age of 16. Paid $150 for it, and that was only 20 years ago :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I saw a MINT one of these sell at an auction here last month with matching bayo and sling for $3800 AUD..................and in the same auction there was a dirty all scuffed up one, all matching, just needed some love, go for $500 AUD.
Pity I'd spent all my bickie's already!!!!!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Your rifle needs to come out of the stock for a look see. I suspect the recoil lug is set back from the position in the photo. Walnut may have been oil saturated etc. I would want to get a good look at the pitting below the wood line. I don't advise shooting this rifle because the matching stock could split wide open. All matching in one piece is the way to keep it. All the Best. Happy Fathers day. Sunfish

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, take off the stock. It looks like there may be some serious rust under the wood. Still a nice rifle, but needs some attention.
I had already planned on doing so next weekend when I can take my time.
Thank you all for your input, if in fact the wood is too far gone she`ll sit in the safe for awhile.
I`ll take some more pics when I`ve got her apart.

·
Silver Bullet member
3,063 Posts
I was going to make up a name for these marks.

They seem to be common on RC's.

I thought it might have to do with how they were mounted in a vehicle?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Must be the weekend already!!!

So I went ahead and followed kysunfish`s suggestion and sure enough the lug has begun to creep back...more pics coming.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More pics underneath..

Sorry I`m not more organized, but I`m loading what it`ll let me...one more attachment to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This should be it!!

Of concern is of course the recoil lug region, especially the RH side. I`m planning on removing the lug first to ascertain the damage to the surrounding area and what can be done about it.

All in all though I think she can be brought back to a respectable level of appearance, safety and functionality with alot of slow, patient coaxing.

No water, no paper, no glass. The hardest thing against this wood will be hand pressure against a toothbrush. I like acetone.
The metal is soaking in diesel as we speak.
I also seem to have the M.937A there Vulch, Mauser Rifles of the World has some good pics.

I got a good one I think, wish me luck!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts