Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I was to bury a gun and ammo in the back 40, how deep would you go. Too deep and it is too hard to dig up in a hurry when needed, too shallow the freeze thaw cycle maybe a problem. The stuff is in PVC tube with threaded end caps. I dont need to worry much about metal detectors the back 40 has more scrap metal and trash piles than you can count. The former owner was to lazy to drive the three miles to the county dump.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Put your tube in a larger tube with a cap on it and a large flat rock on top of that then bury vertically with the top about 1 foot down to the rock , remove the rock, remove or break in the cap , pull out your filled tube and leave area. Putting in place will mean digging a deep hole but removal is just down to the top of larger tube( could be done with your hands and a pointy stick if the soil isn't to hard). If you don't put in larger tube you have to dig all the way down to remove sealed tube , if you can't get the lid off while it is in a hole. Burying vertically means any metal detector has to pretty well be right on top of it to find something about 8 in. in diameter.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Tubes.

Put your tube in a larger tube with a cap on it and a large flat rock on top of that then bury vertically with the top about 1 foot down to the rock , remove the rock, remove or break in the cap , pull out your filled tube and leave area. Putting in place will mean digging a deep hole but removal is just down to the top of larger tube( could be done with your hands and a pointy stick if the soil isn't to hard). If you don't put in larger tube you have to dig all the way down to remove sealed tube , if you can't get the lid off while it is in a hole. Burying vertically means any metal detector has to pretty well be right on top of it to find something about 8 in. in diameter.
This is very true, however this could all be accomplished without putting a tube in a tube. I think you could bury a single tube and do the same as mentioned here. Dig down to the top of the tube, remove cap, then remove contents and vacate. No need for the double tube scenario.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea I maybe able to use the tractor mounted post hole digger. thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Without the tube in a tube , you may have to dig out the complete single tube to get to the things packed in the bottom of a 4 foot tube, if you have only 2 foot arms. And the less time spent messing around while retrieving the tube the better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To do this w/ one tube you could make a bottom that could be lifted. Like a can a little smaller than the inside dia. of the tube ( you would want some play so if dirt fell in it would not bind it up when tring to lift it out). A plastic coffee can would not rust. If you just cut a disk for wood it might cock while being lifted out and spill the small stuff down the hole. You could glue a cap on the bottom and have a screw in plug on top or a test plug (the bolt on the test plug might rust or carode) I would attach some type of handle to the screw in plug (ie: alumanim angle stock) so you could open it w/o tools. I would put some detestant (sp?) in the bottom of the tube to soak up mosture from condesation. There are bags for long term storage that are suppost to keep guns from rusting. I would put ammo (plenty of it) in some sealed container (zip lock freezer bag?) include a cleaning kit, oil and solvent. perhaps some rice and beans too.
How about this (I don't know of this would fit as well in real lfe as it does rared back in a chair typing) PVC tube big enough for a plastic coffee can to fit in. first put in the anti moisture stuff, then an upsidedown can (xould be cut in half so as to not waste space)w/ a wooden (presure treated wood)disk inside that can for support w/ holes drilled to insert heavy gauge wire (copper or allumnum, so it will not rust) this will be your handle to lift the stuff out of the tube. Next you could put in a can w/ rice and dryed beans. Next a can w/ your sealed ammo (I guess the plastic can might be enough seal, maybe some anti-moisture in there too) then another can with a banadleer, some oily stripper clips in a thick plastic bag in one of the pockets some solvent and oil and whatever else you might need (topo maps of the surounding local areas and a compass? Small backpack? muti-tool? a few contractor trash bags or zip-loc? (can be used as rain coat or hauling/ catching H2O)) then a baged cosmoed rifle on top, wwraped w/ a wool blanket (just so you have one if you want it, wool will keep you warm when wet . If you could dig into a hillside you could give the tube sorta a horazonal orintation to make it easyer to get the stuff out, so you are not lifting straight up. I'm sure I missed something but that should be enough to grt you started. As for how deep? just put it near lotsa junk or near a old fence line, them you could use a old rusty T post to mark the spot near the big flat rock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
PS: test it out before puting it in the ground, to be sure it works flawlessly. I would use "slick and tight" (pipe dope) on the threads to get a good seal one the screww cap.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Might also consider removing oxygen from the tube using dry ice before /during sealing of the tube. Instructions available on the web.... Also, consider burying some metal junk above your cache.... BeSwift

·
Banned
3,627 Posts
Might also consider removing oxygen from the tube using dry ice before /during sealing of the tube. Instructions available on the web.... Also, consider burying some metal junk above your cache.... BeSwift

Very good point....burying something metal on top of it....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Burying something metal on top of something that is not buried too deep is giving a bigger target for a metal detector. It might be better to spread and bury metal everywhere all around your burial site and let whoever is looking, go for the larger pieces of metal. If it is a large area filled with scrap metal the small signature of a vertically buried rifle may go undetected. Also be a gray man, someone that isn't noticed and doesn't need to be checked. Why would any ruling power search every piece of ground looking for firearms, unless there is some suspicion of something.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
What a great thread! Some great information on this one. I would like to say that back in 1990 there was a guy who dug up some Confederate rifles at Pollard, AL. The Confederates buried the crates of rifles between 4 to 6 feet. All of muskets still could be fired. Not bad after being there for over 130 years.

·
Registered
153 Posts
A couple more thoughts...

Pack a set of cleaning gear. It doesn't' have to be a big bulky kit but a good rod with correct sized brushes and jags, cleaning solution (your choice) and maybe some oil but I doubt that motor oil won't be available in the future but you never know. Picture the old standard M-16 buttstock kit with maybe a few additions and you get the idea.

I'd pack the gun pretty much ready to use but I'd use a vacuum sealer to protect the gun. I don't know if I'd pull a vacuum inside the bag but I would press all the air out I could and toss in a descicant pack to deal with whatever moisture is left inside. Remember that you can get the endless roll of bag stuff for many kitchen vacuum sealers.

I would probably seal the ammo and cleaning supplies the same way with the ammo in multiple bags.

A good sharp pointed fixed blade knife with a sheath and a good folder as well. Since some countries are trying to ban pointed knives it might come in handy....

Beyond that, there's already some good ideas listed. I like the idea of a local area map and compass. Some food that can be stored for long periods might be helpful if you have the space. A good, compact pack to haul it all with could be crammed in there as well. Water treatment tablets don't take up much space but could be handy if the world has gone that for downhill.

As far as locations, if you're on a farm, are there any old water lines or metal cisterns around?

Steelheart

·
Registered
153 Posts
Some people think that at some point in the future our wonder and benevolent government will go house to house to seize firearms and anything else they decide is appropriate. Burial is a way to secure (within reason) items that you may wish to have available in the future. And many are thinking that said items may be there for years or even decades.

But anything that is buried needs to be protected or you have just let Mother Nature destroy something you wished to save. Plus there are worries about what type of equipment may be used to try to locate stashed items. Portable detectors (either metal or just finding a void where something may be underground) are one thing but the vast majority of us will never know how good satellite sensors are. And in some ways I don't want to know.

But this is just one person's thoughts on this. There is a long ways between yaking about it online and actually doing it.

Steelheart

·
Registered
583 Posts
not sure how relevant this is to this discussion but when i was in iraq couple of yrs ago one way we found stuff (one of my scouts came up w/ this)was to get the kids away from the parents and ask them where guns, books, explosive etc was as kids know where everything is and everything you have. this generaly worked on younger ones.
something to think about and they usually can't keep a secret.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the double tube Idea, that way, if you think some ones watching, you could maybe bury some excess tube's around the one your stuffs in, at the same level as to top of your tube, then when the time comes, dig it out, the regular pvc with the one full of stuff. That way it looks like your just digging up old PVC.

If your in a hurry, just pull every thing out and scram.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts