Gunboards Forums banner

How awful are Russian capture Lugers

9K views 64 replies 34 participants last post by  Big Coulee 
#1 · (Edited)
I saw a small assortment of Lugers in a gun shop. Most were prices over 2,000 which blew me away! I know things are nuts right now. What caught my eye was a 799 price tag. I picked up the gun and if I remember correctly it was labeled as a "Russian capture". The numbers and marking were sanded down and some new numbers were re-stamped. It had a dark black finish. Not glossy. It was blued, not painted. My first reaction was revulsion, but; I can see how it might grow on you. And it was 1/3 the cost of the unmolested Lugers.

Anyone have a opinion on these, one way or another? Is it right to call this a "Russian capture" Luger?

#3 ·
They are not that bad... Akin to the RC K98's.... Sorta like the redhead stepson.........

An old friend who was an FFL bought several when they were about $399 each and they worked well for wjat they were.....

I was at a show like 2 months ago and a fella had a RC Luger priced at I think $900, while I was at his table I saw another buyer balk at the price....Said this used to be like $400 or somesuch.....

When I did my 2nd round in the show a few hours later the Luger was gone at the dealers table, I asked him about it and told me it sold with not too much fuss.....

#7 ·
When the Russian captured Luger first came on the market there were some that were advertised as "all matching". I ordered 2 of those. Both were "all matching" without be FORCED! Except for being dipped blued, the bores being on the rough sides and the grips really bad, they a great shooters.

Reactions: TRR and fourbore
#8 ·
I have a Russian capture P38 that is really nice it has the Russian dip blue finish barrel is excellent all numbers match I would imagine many of the lugers would be the same. I wonder how many the Russian have saved in storage. With the 98k snipers and G and K 43 rifles.

Some great pics here:

#9 ·
Of 3 or 4 Lugers I've had, my Russian Capture is the only one I still have. Mine is 'all' matching except the sideplate, and it's a great shooter. I love the diagonally-grooved black grips.

Reactions: TRR and fourbore
#10 ·
Every time i see the mention of these it reminds me of the ones being sold at "Fast Eddy Fausts" Old Sacramento Armory on "j" street. When they were first up for sale crowds of buyers crammed in the small showroom. Sales guys would bring out maybe 10-12 all held together on a padlocked steel cable and place them on the counter to be pawed over. When all were sold another "string" was brought out. I do not remember if it was $175 or so per but they sold fast. The joke was they were refinished by the Russians while still on the string.

#15 ·
Had 2, one functioned great, a 1942 one, second was a 1918, redo Vopo east German gun (but a Russian capture) would shoot 16 rounds and then start to hiccup. Had to take it apart and clear it up as per Wilsons 1981 American rifleman article and then it ran like a clock with the correct 124 grain NATO Loads. Like the RUAG ammo in particular or M882.

Wilson's article pretty much has all you need to know to make the luger run, thought the editors dropped out his data on the length of the complete 9x19 cartridge. Same is true of the 7.65 luger, I note the Swiss lugers handle the Swiss RUA white box 7.65 luger quite well, the slightly shorter Fioochi 7.65 luges jams a lot.

#17 ·
I too prefer the vopo, as they were made to be shootable, russian capture are not the same, but I've had a couple, always shot well.
To older collectors they didn't give them much care, but as years have gone along, they are worth more than just a mismatched shooter.

#18 ·
I don't specifically collect Lugers, but I will buy one if the price and condition are right. I currently have three, 1916 Artillery, 1920 Police and a 1937 S/42. Trouble is, all are in original condition and have matching numbers. I would very much like to find one like a RC or VOPO that I could use as a shooter where I wouldn't have to worry about breaking a numbered part or degrading the finish.

If I was looking at that particular gun, I would offer them $750 OTD and see what they say. If they say no, I'd try $800 OTD.

#19 ·
I bought one from SOG in the 90s. It was a matching original finished upper. The frame had been renumbered the sideplate was a cast replacement. It wasn't a bad looking gun. However it would only fire one round. It would cycle and load a new round but wouldn't fire it. It was like it wasn't cocked. However if you hand cycled and loaded a new round by hand it would fire one more time. It was nice enough looking I didn't want to return it. I wanted to fix it. First I found a different trigger and filled on the sear a little and got it shooting. Later I found a matching side plate and changed that out. what I thought was odd was after getting the new side plate I tried putting back my original matching number 10 trigger. But it wouldn't work I had to put back my mismatched number 15 trigger to get it to work right. Now it shoots fine but I never felt the need to buy another Luger after all that work.

#20 · (Edited)
When the Russian captured Luger first came on the market there were some that were advertised as "all matching". I ordered 2 of those. Both were "all matching" without be FORCED! Except for being dipped blued, the bores being on the rough sides and the grips really bad, they a great shooters.
/.

Like wise. Mine shoots perfect is all matching, but has an import mark at the base of barrel- very small. It was like $300 or a few bucks more. I got this in the 90s and no longer remember. Great barrel, matching.
Some were rebarrled mix masters, others intact finish & matching- to my knowledge all had import marks on the ones sold around 1995??? If I can find it I may post photos? I have not used in in 15 years. It came with one mag, and I do not remember if it has an X or not???
import mark at red arrow
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

RC liger in this video:

If matching, with a mag and even if an import mark & X I'd grab it if cheep say $700

#60 ·
/.

Like wise. Mine shoots perfect is all matching, but has an import mark at the base of barrel- very small. It was like $300 or a few bucks more. I got this in the 90s and no longer remember. Great barrel, matching.
Some were rebarrled mix masters, others intact finish & matching- to my knowledge all had import marks on the ones sold around 1995??? If I can find it I may post photos? I have not used in in 15 years. It came with one mag, and I do not remember if it has an X or not???
import mark at red arrow
View attachment 3884031
RC liger in this video:

If matching, with a mag and even if an import mark & X I'd grab it if cheep say $700
72usmc ------ In your video you mentioned a forum you are trying to start on Russian Capture lugers and have had a bit of a hard time getting any response. I'd like to join your forum. My shooter luger is a RC piece that I like very much and it shoots very well. Please inform me on how I'd be able to join if you are still looking for members. Thanks

#22 ·
I have a Russian Capture luger that is one of my two shooter pieces and it is a very good one at that. I've fired it a lot and it function with militaty, commercial and my own reloads without a bobble. The trigger pull is the best of any of my 15 lugers and is slightly less than three pounds pull. The original serial numbers have been xx out and new numbers stamped just above the original numbers, no sanding or grinding on anything. The 4" barrel is a mirror bright replacement with a crown over U stamp on the underside. The original grip panels were loose and I bought a new white checkered pair made of some very TOUGH material and installed them. That is one very fine shooting luger.

#26 ·
When the luger import was at its peak it was hard to justify spending 6-8 times what an average, complete c96s cost me at the time (and I had 2 Lugers already). I did get to look at a number of them before they went on sale and i did not see any that were completely matching. I think the matching ones were high graded out early on. Same thing for C96s. Still wonder if the Russians have stockpiles of C96s somewhere but suspect they gave them all to the Chinese back when they were buds.

#27 ·
The problem with making an offer is that anything that goes out on the floor sells in a couple days! This Luger is probably gone. The owner would be nuts to take an offer and he is not nuts. As far as "out the door", it is in a sales tax state. Are people seriouly expecting the seller to discount for tax? I am lucky I can buy it using my C&R.

I do appreciate all the input. This was one I had to sleep on and I will go back for another look. If it is there, Good. I remain undecided. I will look again. If gone, then maybe another time. The fact that some have the origional matching numbers has me thinking that I might want to hold off on this.

#29 ·
The problem with making an offer is that anything that goes out on the floor sells in a couple days! This Luger is probably gone. The owner would be nuts to take an offer and he is not nuts. As far as "out the door", it is in a sales tax state. Are people seriouly expecting the seller to discount for tax? I am lucky I can buy it using my C&R.

I do appreciate all the input. This was one I had to sleep on and I will go back for another look. If it is there, Good. I remain undecided. I will look again. If gone, then maybe another time. The fact that some have the origional matching numbers has me thinking that I might want to hold off on this.
Good plan but hurry. Inflation is affecting everything and folks are spending dollars like dimes. . FWIW Sales Taxes in many states have risen to point they affect prices (and offers). CA alone runs 7.25 to 10.25%. Add in transfer fees and you have a chunk on change added to that OTD price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.