Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
If I am right the Lugers were another example of hand fitted guns by the Germans and you cannot swop around parts and have reliability with out being fitted.
From my experience, both DDR and CCCP rebuilds were properly fitted upon assembly and reliable. Not always pretty.....but reliable.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Attached below is a photo of my RC luger that is one of my two shooter lugers (S 42 1938). It is an excellent pistol with a new replacement 4" barrel, xx'ed out original serial numbers and new numbers stamped just above . There are no sanded or ground out numbers. The trigger pull is a little under 3 pounds pull. I shoot only my own reloads in the piece and it functions very well with them. I replaced the old grip panels (that were a shade loose) with white checkered panels that are tight and very tough. The original panels are in my gun drawer. With my reloads I'd trust this luger anywhere and in any situation. Below is a photo

Attachments

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
That's an East German Rework. The dead giveaway is the DDR produced take down lever. There should be a Crown/N mark on the bottom of the barrel and possibly a date although many times these is no date:

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
That's an East German Rework. The dead giveaway is the DDR produced take down lever. There should be a Crown/N mark on the bottom of the barrel and possibly a date although many times these is no date:

BWilhelm ----- Thanks for your reply to my photos. Yes my luger could be an east German rework at that. It functions perfectly and is quite accurate out to 40 or 50 yds. It has a crown over "U" proof mark on the bottom of the barrel but no date stamp and no import stamp. Who ever did the work and especially the trigger work knew what they were doing, I really like the little less than 3 pounds pull.

BWilhe

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Don't know what happened to my earler reply but it must not have come through. I just wanted to add that there is a crown over U proof stamp on the under side og the barrel on my Russian Capture (east German) luger. Yes you might be right the luger could be an east German rework piece instead of a RC piece. However who ever did their work on the trigger sure knew their business well.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Remember that some of the East Germans who were rebuilding them were building them the first time, just under different management. So they knew how to do it right.

·
Administrator
3,193 Posts
I had not been told the difference on the take down levers (replacement east german ones) - great info - did not know that. I have a number of east german breechblocks and do not notice any differences, at least as dramatic. Are there other parts that you can spot and made by east germany?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I had not been told the difference on the take down levers (replacement east german ones) - great info - did not know that. I have a number of east german breechblocks and do not notice any differences, at least as dramatic. Are there other parts that you can spot and made by east germany?
Yes sir.
Barrels obviously but you already knew that.

Frames will not have a stock attachment point and somewhat crude machining. I don't have one of those to illustrate unfortunately.

Barrel extensions will be unmarked except for acceptance proofs and serial number. They also are a bit crude.
It's on the bottom in this picture:

Note machine marks around proofs and serial number:

I can't speak intelligently about other parts because I haven't had the opportunity to purchase one (at a reasonable price anyway) of the small batch that the Easties manufactured as complete pistols before deciding it was more economical to just rebuild existing units.
If I ever get my hands on one, I'll do a writeup about it and give everyone the skinny on what's what.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I saw a small assortment of Lugers in a gun shop. Most were prices over 2,000 which blew me away! I know things are nuts right now. What caught my eye was a 799 price tag. I picked up the gun and if I remember correctly it was labeled as a "Russian capture". The numbers and marking were sanded down and some new numbers were re-stamped. It had a dark black finish. Not glossy. It was blued, not painted. My first reaction was revulsion, but; I can see how it might grow on you. And it was 1/3 the cost of the unmolested Lugers.

Anyone have a opinion on these, one way or another? Is it right to call this a "Russian capture" Luger?
- OH YEAH............
I had to laugh - I finally got LUGERS completely out of my system & off my Want List.
About 20 years ago I bought a few P-08s trying to own a good reliable keeper. My prettiest ones were a BYF (Mauser) 9mm "Black Widow" with holster, & a Mitchell Arms Stainless 9mm American Eagle. NEITHER EVEN MADE A PRETENSE OF BEING RELIABLE = total Jamomatics.
The most disappointing & final straw - were a pair of matching number East German arsenal VOPO Refurbs. On arrival - First hint of disaster was evidence of a retarded arsenal employee running a die grinder at random on the pistols - also a large X stamped on each pistol - it did not think it stood for "X-elent". They looked nothing like the photos, & more Jamomatics - when I complained to the seller he replied "You must be Limp Wristing" That was it - I gave up - & now only have a number of pistols that function flawlessly with either of my limp wrists. The only happy ending here - was I was able to get my money out of all of them I owned - & nobody complained - either didn't shoot them - or had beefier wrists..
I must say that all of my communist block handguns are among my favorites - & my 3 MAKAROVS are my preferred carry pistols & also DA/SA + accurate & reliable. I will no longer try to own anything that doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Crazig, I have been advised in person and on this forum that the German P08 requires a heavy load. These pistols were setup for the same ammo as the 9mm SMG. I had a DMW Artillery P08 that ran fine. I did shoot it with nothing special ammo. IIRC, The ammo was in a brown box. It maybe I got lucky or maybe the springs were old and weak. My brain went limp not my wrist, when I sold that gun for a bag of magic beans.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
My Russian Capture or East German (not sure which) rework luger is one of my two shooters and the most reliable luger I own. It does like fairly warm ammo of my own making. I believe I'd trust this piece in any situation I'd be likely to encounter. It shoots to point of aim at 15 to 20 yards and it's trigger is as good as or better than most of my other shooter pieces. I guess I was just very lucky to find this luger about 3 years ago for $400. It rests in a very well made repro luger holster.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Crazig, I have been advised in person and on this forum that the German P08 requires a heavy load. These pistols were setup for the same ammo as the 9mm SMG. I had a DMW Artillery P08 that ran fine. I did shoot it with nothing special ammo. IIRC, The ammo was in a brown box. It maybe I got lucky or maybe the springs were old and weak. My brain went limp not my wrist, when I sold that gun for a bag of magic beans.
I really am glad that some are out there making their owners happy. I've a strict rule that every firearm of mine must work properly - no exception. I've owned a few NEW pistols that failed miserably right out of the box - But not for long.
The closest I came to having a working P-08 will remain a mystery - I bought & owned for a year or so - a NIB "Original Mauser" produced, Swiss Luger Made on the Swiss machinery. It was New & Un-fired - I had a princely sum in it, & was sorely tempted to fire it. But a good portion of its value would have gone BANG - & what would happen IF it was another DUD ?? I eventually saw something very juicy - I wanted more. I made a decent profit from it, & have enjoyed the things I bought with it & still do - So closed the whole unsatisfactory Luger episode of my life. Things were less complicated when I quit trying to own one. I'm OK - & have found more easily attainable (for me) items to put effort into.
BTW - all my present firearms digest everything without a hiccup.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Stinks that you had bad ones. I have 4. All have shot flawlessly. Both shooters with whatever I feed them, they’ve been just as reliable as my carry 9mm has been since I’ve gotten them. One is a refinished but matching Artillery, the other just mismatched toggle train but it’s a very robustly built gun. They’re fun and highly satisfying. Most Luger jam problems come from bubba working on springs in the garage and bad magazines.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My Russian Capture or East German (not sure which) rework luger is one of my two shooters and the most reliable luger I own. It does like fairly warm ammo of my own making. I believe I'd trust this piece in any situation I'd be likely to encounter. It shoots to point of aim at 15 to 20 yards and it's trigger is as good as or better than most of my other shooter pieces. I guess I was just very lucky to find this luger about 3 years ago for $400. It rests in a very well made repro luger holster.
BTW - When I leave any of my handguns in leather holsters - I put it in a plastic food bag before inserting it in the holster - This prevents any of the Tanic acids in leather to attack the gun finish. Some of the repro holsters come from India Pakistan etc. - we don't want to discuss their primitive leather tanning process here. I have even seen WWII 1911's stored in american made G.I. holsters pitted to ruin. You'll be OK if you use the plastic baggy though.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
crazig ---- Thanks for the advise about holsters. I have WWI & WWII and repro holsters that have contained lugers, P.38's, C96 and HSc Mausers, 1911's etc. that have contained my pieces for several years. Even during the nearly 30 years I spent overseas and I haven't seen any deterioration on any of the pieces yet. Each year I came home on leave I inspected all my pieces for any sign of trouble. I guess I've been pretty lucky in that case. I live in a fairly dry climate so that might be one reason. At least 3 or 4 times a year I look at each piece and wipe each one down with a slightly oily cloth. I know you have my interests in mind when you posted your advise. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All of the Russian captures I have personally handles displayed Force matched parts, horrible over buffing and then the strange and quite ugly blue was applied.
I bought a 1936 S42 Russian Capture Luger from a dealer friend after the USSR fell apart. It's absolutely all matching, no "forced" except for grips and mag which are original WW II. VG bore, shoots like a champ.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts