Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I have a Russian Capture luger that is one of my two shooter pieces and it is a very good one at that. I've fired it a lot and it function with militaty, commercial and my own reloads without a bobble. The trigger pull is the best of any of my 15 lugers and is slightly less than three pounds pull. The original serial numbers have been xx out and new numbers stamped just above the original numbers, no sanding or grinding on anything. The 4" barrel is a mirror bright replacement with a crown over U stamp on the underside. The original grip panels were loose and I bought a new white checkered pair made of some very TOUGH material and installed them. That is one very fine shooting luger.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I find them to be an interesting piece of history. Wish I had not stupidly sold mine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a Russian capture Luger that I recently sold. It did not appear they refinished mine, but it was mismatched. It had a strong bore and shot well.

·
copper Bullet Member
11,907 Posts
When the luger import was at its peak it was hard to justify spending 6-8 times what an average, complete c96s cost me at the time (and I had 2 Lugers already). I did get to look at a number of them before they went on sale and i did not see any that were completely matching. I think the matching ones were high graded out early on. Same thing for C96s. Still wonder if the Russians have stockpiles of C96s somewhere but suspect they gave them all to the Chinese back when they were buds.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The problem with making an offer is that anything that goes out on the floor sells in a couple days! This Luger is probably gone. The owner would be nuts to take an offer and he is not nuts. As far as "out the door", it is in a sales tax state. Are people seriouly expecting the seller to discount for tax? I am lucky I can buy it using my C&R.

I do appreciate all the input. This was one I had to sleep on and I will go back for another look. If it is there, Good. I remain undecided. I will look again. If gone, then maybe another time. The fact that some have the origional matching numbers has me thinking that I might want to hold off on this.

·
copper Bullet Member
11,907 Posts
The problem with making an offer is that anything that goes out on the floor sells in a couple days! This Luger is probably gone. The owner would be nuts to take an offer and he is not nuts. As far as "out the door", it is in a sales tax state. Are people seriouly expecting the seller to discount for tax? I am lucky I can buy it using my C&R.

I do appreciate all the input. This was one I had to sleep on and I will go back for another look. If it is there, Good. I remain undecided. I will look again. If gone, then maybe another time. The fact that some have the origional matching numbers has me thinking that I might want to hold off on this.
Good plan but hurry. Inflation is affecting everything and folks are spending dollars like dimes. . FWIW Sales Taxes in many states have risen to point they affect prices (and offers). CA alone runs 7.25 to 10.25%. Add in transfer fees and you have a chunk on change added to that OTD price.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I have a number of East German and one Russian rework lugers and would recommend one to anyone. They'll never be worth as much money as the non-reworks but they are very collectible nonetheless. I only shoot one of mine but I've been shooting it since 1993 and it's never given me any problems at all.

Typically (but not always), the Russian ones are more matching and original than the East German ones which underwent a true rebuild including manufacturing new parts. Whatever the case, they were always force matched upon completion.
Below is my Russian rework BYF41. It's all matching other than the replaced side plate. Unfortunately, someone replaced the Russian grips with reproduction originals but I have a proper set of Russian ones I bought later. The Russians either left the original grips alone (rare but it did happen) or put their own bakelite grips on which came in two varieties, ribbed (most common) or crudely checkered (less common). I have the ribbed type but I'm looking for the checkered type. They were not uncommon but were so crudely done I think most folks trashed them when they got their luger and now very few people know what they are when encountered. BTW, if anyone has a set, hit me up. I'll gladly pay $100 for a set which is WAY more than they are worth! ANywho, below is my Russian rework; I'd recommend one to anyone (and it even has the proper magazine):

·
Copper Bullet member
9,471 Posts
I find the ribbed grips to be the most comfortable Luger grips I've ever had.

Reactions: fourbore

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
A few years ago I glommed on to a very nice matching G date.
Vopo grips, of course, and a EG mag.
Can't find a import mark, possibly missed, never know.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood stain
Bumper Rectangle Automotive tire Font Gas
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Wood
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,618 Posts
I have a dozen German Lugers from 1912 to 1942, and the only Luger I ever shot was a Russian Capture with mixed parts. It keyholed for about three or four mags full. Bore was atrocious. But after some more shooting and scrubbing, it started rifling and grouping well. Very unique feel, with the toggle action, enjoyable to shoot.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
I have a different opinion of the Russian captures. It relates to Provenance.

The VOP luger I have has the following history:

Made in 1918

Survived 1st WWI, not marked 1920 so either a police gun or a sneak gun (kept by Reichswehr but off books). As not police marked likely a Reichswehr sneak.

Utilized by Germany in WWII

Captured by Russia in WWII, supplied back to E.G at some point.

Rebuilt by them circa 1953, new grips and replacement barrel.

Through 5 Armies: German Imperial WWI army, Reichswehr, Wehrmacht, Russian army, East German people police.

Lot of history there that can be traced, based on firm documentation.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
From what I understand the Lugers came over in much smaller numbers than the K98's and even less of the P38's that were RC came in....I would be curious to hear how many Lugers were imported during 95-05 time frame?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I remember SOG had two shipments maybe more. I missed out getting one from the first batch I was a little slow. When they got the second batch I jumped on them early and got one. After a little work and some help from Tom Heller it turned out pretty good.

·
SKS GOD OF GUNBOARDS
1,555 Posts
If I am right the Lugers were another example of hand fitted guns by the Germans and you cannot swop around parts and have reliability with out being fitted.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I have a number of the EG VoPos, and 1 Russian Capture. The RC is an all (original numbers) matching with th3 exception of the sideplate, which was EP'd to match.
The finish is a very deep blue/black. The sideplate EP is in the bare metal.
The grips are the grooved Russian black, very unique look.
It's a great shooter.

·
Registered
13,301 Posts
They are just awful. INCLUDING all the RC's and VoPo's.

I recommend you send all of them out there to me, so I can dispose of them all humanely, safely, and in an environmentally responsible manner.

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
If I am right the Lugers were another example of hand fitted guns by the Germans and you cannot swop around parts and have reliability with out being fitted.
I have owned quite few over the years and fired most of them. Parts swap is more possible in general than some want to believe.
They are military weapons and a certain amount of simplicity in maintenance and use is necessary.
I have done a couple swaps that worked better than others.
Eli Whitney set some good principals.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts