Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then I read a post where someone refers to the WASR-3 as problematic or trouble-prone, etc. I have a WASR-3 that's been trouble free with Malaysian surplus ammo, granted I don't shoot it as much as other guns. So, out of curiosity, what makes the WASR-3 more problematic than other WASRs or SARs?

Can someone please explain?

TIA

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
50,542 Posts
Any of the Romanian 223's can give issues when used with AK74 mags loaded to over 20rds. Wieger mags are the best mag for the Romy 223's or you can build up the rear (or just buy new Robinson Arms followers) to make the AK74 mags more reliable. Also alot of WASR'3 have the mag catch cut alittle too far, this allows the mag to set down in the rifle causing ride over stoppages. Either replacing the mag catch or adding on to it (either with weld or an added metal plate) will solve this issue.

Early SAR3's suffered from incorrect hammer geometry that were also soft but I've not heard of this problem being common since the 2002 SAR3's and never on a WASR3 although I think some still think all the Romy 223's suffer from this.

I do not look at any of these problems as fatal to the gun and most are easily fixed, most times it's ID'ing the problem that stops most from finding the easy fix.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply; you're just as knowledgeable and helpful on this new site format as you were on the last one! ;)

So, assuming the only difference in the internals is the shape of the hammer, are you aware of any site/page/pics comparing a good one to a misshaped or bad one? Could it be that by reshaping the 7.62 hammers, CAI removed the hardening, thus weakening the piece?

Also, any comparos of the proper height of the mag catch or is it a trial and error fix (assuming one's having FTFeeds)?

Thanks again

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
50,542 Posts
If the hammer doesn't hit the firing pin squarely it's misshapen, the early ones would hit at the top or bottom and not give a good firm smack. As far as the catch goes if you get ride over failures it's probably too low, if you can lift the back of the mag up it's wrong too.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Affirmative, thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts