Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many years ago I purchased a crate of cordite-powered .303 British ammunition dated 1945 (on a Vickers belt). The Berdan primed cases are marked "R^L 1945 7", so manufactured at the Woolwich factory. I pulled the bullets (impact puller), saved the cordite, laboriously stuffed them back into the cases and re-filled the Vickers belt with dummy rounds for display.

Fast forward to now. I re-pulled the bullets (impact puller again) and gave them to a generous friend to seat them in PPU .303 cases to use in my Lewis gun. Well, he couldn't get them to seat. He says that the base measures .312, the center .308, and then .311 forward of the crimp groove, so sort of hourglass shaped. It's not clear how to reload using these as is.

Has anyone else come across this feature? Is there an easy way to make them more conventionally shaped? I hope my converting them into dummy rounds didn't mess them up.

Edited to add: I had done the same thing with some 150g 7.62x54R ammunition many years ago, and those bullets seated just fine in the PPU .303 cases.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
The original “crimp” on that .303 was not at the case mouth but further down the neck. The crimp didn’t need a bullet cannelure as it SQUEEZES the case neck into the bullet...reducing the bullet diameter and fixing the bullet in place.

Don’t know any cheap or simple way to alter the bullet. A Lee factory crimp die might secure the bullets in the case neck.

·
Registered
9,656 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,355 Posts
Yep, the hourglass is from the heavy crimp applied to 303 British.
I ran into the same issue years ago when I was using pulled 303 British projectiles to load 7.7x58 Japanese.
Had to use the Lee Factory Crimp die to get the bullets to stay in the case.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Aren't there sizing dies available for re-sizing bullets?
The bulletin are loose in the case neck, so...

To re-size them bigger? Corbin might make you a custom die to “bump” them up to an even .312” for a grand or so. Maybe less...

Maybe just neck size the .303 case to .308” or thereabouts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts