Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a well educated, VERY experienced with firearms, and have a very strong mechanical knowledge. Tonight a friend and I were improving the finish of the feed ramp on his russian makarov (which turned out excellent and durastically improved chambering). We cleaned the firearm, properly lubricated all friction points on the slide, and so on. We carefully reassembled the firearm (NOTE: none of the trigger group was disassembled; only the slide was removed to expose feed ramp). We cycled it completely empty to "ensure" proper operation several times and checked for any issues.

Since this is his primary carry piece, he inserted a full magazine, and cycled the firearm ONE time to chamber a round. The firearm then IMMEDIATELY fired a round and struck the wall behind me. Thank GOD nobody was injured. HE ABSOLUTELY DID NOT HAVE HIS FINGER ANYWHERE NEAR THE TRIGGER; I OBSERVED THE WHOLE PROCESS.

After the calamity, he noted to me that since he purchased the firearm, it would FIRE A ROUND when the safety was applied when the hammer was fully cocked and there was a round in the chamber. It seems like ENGAGING the safety lever while the hammer is cocked simply fires the gun.

Anyone else have this issue? PLEASE ADVISE!!

Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the firing pin and safety. Any foreign material? Any damage to the metal?
*Ammo was just cheap rounds we use at the range... Silver Bear i believe.

*firing pin was well lubricated but channel was not thoroughly cleaned.

gun was blasted out with compressed air, visually inspected by both of us, and carefully reassembed and lubricated by my friend who is very familiar with this firearm and adept with firearms in general.

there is normal wear on the gun given we have probably each put 700+ rounds thru this particuar firearm. nothing seems to be at a level of wear which APPEARED to be cause for concern.

----any word on why ENGAGING the safety causes it to fire also? anyone else experience this?

p.s. thanks kindly for the reply

·
Registered
209 Posts
First, I'm glad no one was hurt.

I don't want to address the wide array of concerns raised here, but let me hit just a couple:

A round hitting the wall "behind you" sounds like he didn't have the weapon pointed in a safe direction.

After the calamity, he noted to me that since he purchased the firearm, it would FIRE A ROUND when the safety was applied when the hammer was fully cocked and there was a round in the chamber. It seems like ENGAGING the safety lever while the hammer is cocked simply fires the gun.
Your friend appears to have known the pistol was malfunctioning and still chambered a round in the manner described (not to mention still using it as his "primary carry piece" in that condition).

That sounds like "cause for concern" to me. In fact, it sounds absurd. And he doesn't sound too "adept with firearms in general" either. I'd venture to say I wouldn't again be in his presence with a firearm, if at all. In any event, I only have what you've said here to go by, so that's my $.02.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That is definitely a +10 on the pucker factor when that happens. I had an accidental discharge with a 12ga slug into the bedroom ceiling when I was alot younger. You do it once and it will never happen again- believe me....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I don't want to address the wide array of concerns raised here, but let me hit just a couple:

A round hitting the wall "behind you" sounds like he didn't have the weapon pointed in a safe direction.

Your friend appears to have known the pistol was malfunctioning and still chambered a round in the manner described (not to mention still using it as his "primary carry piece" in that condition).

That sounds like "cause for concern" to me. In fact, it sounds absurd. And he doesn't sound too "adept with firearms in general" either. I'd venture to say I wouldn't again be in his presence with a firearm, if at all. In any event, I only have what you've said here to go by, so that's my $.02.
I understand you do not have the whole story and it is kind of hard to judge exactly what happened....
The firearm was pointed in a safe direction, i did not describe it properly...
We both have fired this gun HUNDREDS of times, with no malfunction. The safety is the only odd thing about this gun, and since it wasnt mine (i only fire my own homebuilt 1911's + my kimber) I didnt know this was an issue.

As you said, the gun was immediately unloaded and will not be fired until further investigation. once again, it does sound very amateur, but this genuinely was an equipment malfunction that I, not being the owner, was not fully aware of other than fully visually inspecting the piece. Ive been an avid firearm collector for many years, and this is the first and LAST incident like this ive expereinced.

Thanks for the input anyway.

·
Registered
182 Posts
When checking a gun for function I use a snap cap or a shell with the bullet and powder pulled off and out. That way I can see the primer is hit and just a little POP. You and your buddy are really lucky and I'm sure you will never have that happen again. It only takes one AD to pucker you for life. If you have another saftey from another Mak try swapping them and see if it happens again. If you don't I would wait to hear feedback here or get to a gunsmith and have it repaired. I would not carry this gun till several hundred rounds where again fired in it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, the safety is supposed to drop the hammer, but it's also supposed to block it. What's more, the hammer is supposed to stop with the sear on its second notch before striking the pin. Something is keeping the safety from blocking the pin, and also raising the sear over that second notch. Check the safety and the sear for deformations or indentations. Also look at the firing pin where the safety engages it. Look at the hammer, too, and see what the notch looks like.

·
Registered
620 Posts

I agree with this assessment. Aside from this issue, to which there have been several responses, I have a best practice to share. When I come home with a new Mak, or any gun that has a decocker/safety, the first thing i do is stick a pencil down the barrel and drop the safety. If the hammer is cocked and you drop the safety/decocker and the pencil stays put, it means all is well. If the pencil goes flying out of the barrel, you have a problem... A big one. At that point, it is a matter of finding the culprit. It could be the sear, it sould be the safety itself, it could be the hammer. I would start with what seems to be the most obvious, replace it, and try the pencil test again. Those are just my 2 pennies and a nickel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A couple of things strike me as being a bit peculiar.
* If the gun was pointing in a cleard direction when you chambered the round then how did a bullet hit the wall BEHIND you.
* If your shooting partner has had this happen before, he should have addressed this little problem at that time and not let it continue to happen.
* Why did your partner continuie to carry this after the first accidental discharge?
* Why didn't your partner warn you of this liitle quirk before he/you chambered the round that was discharged so you would be prepared for this possibility.
* I understand that this was the first time this has happened to you BUT, as long as you and your friend hang around guns together I can assure you that it will NOT be the last.

I would definitly try and learn from something like this and turn it into a positive experience if you can.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
It is so easy to critique someone else's actions, especially when none of us were there at the time it happened. Add to that the mis-interpretation that can easily occur with the written word, it is not a good idea to criticize another person's performance simply based on a written story.

All the fella asked was a mechanical question regarding an accidental discharge of a Makarov and what may be the culprit within the pistol itself. Some here have been kind enough to answer that, some have kindly suggested safety precautions to be taken in the future. But others have gone off criticizing the story and that is NOT what we are here to do, is it? Answer the man's question if you can, suggest safety precautions, and drop it.

JMHO Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
+1 with Dave.

I am sorry, but this comes off a bit too preachy to me:

I understand that this was the first time this has happened to you BUT, as long as you and your friend hang around guns together I can assure you that it will NOT be the last.
You may not have intended it to come across that way, but........

Bob

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm with Dave and Bob. Let's just try to help the guy.

alphaOmega- like NB said, parts are cheap. I'd go that route before I see a gunsmith. And, I'd do the initial chambering and testing at the range, if that was my gun.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Don't want to take over his thread in any way, but I think my question pertains to it.

I've wondered what stops the hammer on a Mak from going forward and firing again if the trigger has not been let off???

But, if you take the slide off and pull the trigger, catch the hammer and let it go forward all the way then pull the hammer back again (duplicating firing) the sear doesn't catch it and the hammer does not stay back. All while keeping the trigger depressed.

Enlighten me.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Don't want to take over his thread in any way, but I think my question pertains to it.

I've wondered what stops the hammer on a Mak from going forward and firing again if the trigger has not been let off???

But, if you take the slide off and pull the trigger, catch the hammer and let it go forward all the way then pull the hammer back again (duplicating firing) the sear doesn't catch it and the hammer does not stay back. All while keeping the trigger depressed.

Enlighten me.
Parisite, the trigger bar will hold the sear up until you release the trigger. That sounds like what will normally happen. :confused: Release the trigger and the sear goes back to it's resting position on the hammer and it will hold the hammer away from the firing pin. I may not understand your question though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
alpha0mega,

I am almost sorry that I recommended you post here.

Though something interesting did happen on the other forum

From firepower!
This is a very common problem with Makarovs. I have had a few of them, and majority had this issue. This is because the the trigger parts are worn out. Yes, as odd it may seem, these parts on Makarov worn out. When this does happen either the pistol will discharge as in your case or it will when you chamber the round and engage safety or it will rapid fire now and then out of the blue. There is unfortunately nothing you can do except buy a new 9x18 because fixing it will still leave a healthy possibility of this problem reoccuring. Makarovs are good pistol but unfortunately they very old and not made from solid metal. I carry in car a Stichken APS, which is my replacement for 9x18 Makarov.

So in nutshell: change the gun.
http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=4119903&postcount=12

I didn't think it was that common...

·
Registered
78 Posts

Enlighten me.
I think you're talking about the disconnect.

With the slide off, cock the hammer. Then, with your left thumb on the hammer, squeeze the trigger and let the hammer go forward. Now, with your right finger still squeezing the trigger, find the little *** that is sticking up in front and to the right of the hammer. With your left thumbnail, move the *** to the right and you will hear a little click. You have just disconnected the trigger from the sear. Now, with your right finger still pulling back the trigger, recock the hammer with your left thumb. You will notice that the hammer stays back. Now, let the trigger go forward and you will hear and feel a click. The trigger and sear are once again connected and you are ready to fire.

Now, turn the slide upside down and look at all those angles and cuts. Note the area of the slide that articulates (works/moves against/with) the little *** of the disconnect. You will note that as the slide moves back, it pushes the little *** to the right disconnecting the trigger and sear allowing the hammer to cock and stay back.

HTH and I hope that was clear enough.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
alpha0mega,

I am almost sorry that I recommended you post here.

Though something interesting did happen on the other forum

From firepower!

http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=4119903&postcount=12

I didn't think it was that common...
I don't agree with what this guy stated about the Makarov. To me it seems a very rare occurrence. And I believe the Makarov to be a VERY hearty little pistol. Yes worn parts can be replaced, but you should be good to go when replaced. I would not look to replace the Makarov at all. He should consider buying another, but only to add to his Mak family. :D But then, I am prejudice. :) AlphaOmega, hang in there, you will get it straightened out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.