Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an early Christmas present from my MIL this morning. Following the instructions, I place the shell holder in the shell lock, but the spindle will not fit into the hole on the shell holder. :( Instructions state that the trimmer uses standard shell holders, so I guess the question is: Have the holes in shell holders been changed to a different size since I bought my stuff back in the 90's?? If anyone is familiar with this thing I'd sure appreciate some guidance. Right now it appears that I need to run all my shell holders through the drill press to enlarge the holes. Doesn't seem right to me....

Thanks...

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
Hornady cam lock trimmer does not work with Lee shell holders. I'm guessing that you're trying to use Lee shell holders because I was able to recreate the same situation as you describe if I attempt to use Lee. It has been a while since I bought my Hornady trimmer but I thought they included a number of common shell holders with the trimmer....

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do include some trimmer pilots for various calibers, (not shell holders though) and I was trying to use a Hornady shell holder from a Hornady New Dimension 3 die set for 9x18.
I found a drill bit that was .002 larger than the pilot, enlarged the hole in the shell holder and trimmed over 400 pieces of brass today. I love that cam lock feature!

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
I do like the Hornady equipment but trimming is probably my least favorite aspect of reloading. I recently went out to Midway and bought the attachment for connecting a drill to the cutting side of the trimmer. IIRC it was about $27 but well worth the investment versus hand cranking through hundreds of cases that need trimming. I'm actually hoping for a case prep center for X-mas but I don't know if I have been "good enough" this past year :D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trimming is the worst! Even with the easy to use trimmer my hand still hurts. My arm was sore this morning after trimming 400 cases yesterday. Then I had to do all the campher/reamer work. Finished that today. My hands hurt. The drill attachment is definitely in my future. I contacted Hornady about my shell holder not fitting, tech support told me it was likely an older holder (he was right) and he's sending out a new one, no charge. Can't beat that.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
... and he's sending out a new one, no charge. Can't beat that.
Problem solved! Excellent resolution to the situation and great customer service. Merry Christmas :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts