Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Was going to pick up some hornady ammo for hunting. Which would be better, the A-Max, or the BTSP. Which would expand better, have better weight retention, or just perform better.
Also, where would be a good place to get a quality sling for my K31.
One more thing, bought a butt plate adapter from graf and sons, which would be a quality recoil pad and size to install. Do not want to alter the gun.

Regards

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
The Amax is a match bullet NOT a hunting bullet and is Not the one you want for anything but varmit or predators Or paper targets!. The BTSP is a good hunting bullet,and designed solely for that purpose from the beginning.
What kind of sling are you looking for? a shooting sling ? or just a carrying strap? If its a shooting sling a web sling from a 03A3 or Garand can be modified to work well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice, thats what I thought on the ammo but wanted a second opinion. As for the sling, like an original, for carrying the gun. Am going to use it for deer hunting this year. Does anyone make a good repro.

regards

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Like RU already posted, a web sling would probably suit hunting conditions a little better than the OEM leather sling true to the K31. It also wouldn't hurt you to just buy a sling from Wal*Mart, and fit it to the K31 sling attatchments, and thus save your leather sling from damage.

The Hornady hunting ammo will be top-notch quality, but it may be a bit underloaded for the K31. Since there are a few rifles chambered for the 7.5x55, including some that are not quite up to task to handling the 45,500psi GP-11 load, ammo manufacturers will probably avoid the potential risk of KABOOM by loading it down to GP-23 standards instead. That means you'll be getting a 174gr or 180gr bullet moving at or around 2,000fps, instead of the GP-11's 2,560fps. Here is the 7,5x55mm page from the Swiss Rifles Dot Com website, and it should explain a little more in-depth than I can.

It is my intention to get some of the Hornady 178gr BTSP's for hunting this year, and load them over near-max loads of either H414 or H4350. Given that the barrel of the K31 is "tuned" to deliver maximum accuracy with a 174gr bullet at or around 2,500fps, that should work well for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hornady ammo works

I took a large bull elk with 165 grain BTSP's at 110 yards and a whitetail Buck at 145 yards with the same ammo last year. Expansion was good.
Cork

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'd get a slip on recoil pad.

The geometry of the buttplate does not lend itself to putting on a recoil pad, without cutting a lot of wood off the butt.

If the rifle gets wet, remove the slip on pad, dry, and reinstall.

CDD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts