Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few boxes of the 160 grain round nose bullet in 6.5 caliber. Would like to try them out in one of my 1896 swedes. I've heard that some of the reloader series of powders by other folks gave good accuracy with these bullets. So if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to do so. And what velocities should I be looking to stay around. Thanks Frank Happy New Year

·
Registered
950 Posts
The new Lyman book shows 47 grains of RL-22 as a max load.
I use 46 grains, a CCI200 primer, Lee factory crimp die, 3.00 inch COL.
It is super accurate.
2,500 fps from my m/38 and almost 2,600fps from my m/96

45.5 grains is fine as well and will make your brass last a little longer.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Got to check my stash and see if I have any H4831 or RL22. Happy New Year all. Frank

·
2,089 Posts
I also find that the point of impact of handloaded and very accurate 160 grain Hornady bullets, can be very close to handloaded 140 grain Hornady bullets :)

·
2,089 Posts
One of my model 1938 Swedish Husqvarna Mausers sporter, a scoped, microbedded and Timney triggered specimen, will at times, shoot 3 shoots into one ragged hole at hundred yards, when loaded with 140 Hornady bullets in front of 48 grain, IMR 4350 powder.

When shooting the 160 grain Hornady bullet from the same gun, loaded with 45 grain IMR 4350 powder, the 3 shoot, half inch tight group, will land about half an inch down from the 140 grain bullet holes.

Not bad for a "run of the mill" military surplus gun, still using the original barrel, and a testimony to the very high standart these "Swedish Mausers" were produced under, even for this particular WW2 specimen, that also have seen service with the swedish trained, "Den Danske Brigade", that came back to Denmark from Sweden, on May 5th, 1945, and who fought several urban firefights with pockets of die hard, Danish nazi collaborators who had chosed to die fighting, as well as securing the danish/german border, and protecting danish police stations.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some years ago when swedish mausers were cheap, I bought 4 of them for $75 each. Probably the only time I bought something that actually increased in value since I bought them. One I glass bedded the receiver ring and recoil lug. Haven't been shooting much this last year. So I thought I'd start off the new year by getting back to shooting. Have had these bullets and about 50 lapua 6.5x55 cases and seems like a good combination. Thanks for the replies. Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts