Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an accurate load for this bullet? Planning to use it in a Remington 1903-A3 with four-groove barrel. Would be great if I could get a trajectory similar to that of the M2 ball so I could make full use of the rifle's sight settings.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=754154&t=11082005

^Midway's page has "Read the Reviews" under the product picture. I've read it, and almost all of the feedback seems to be very positive. Mostly folks are shooting .308/7.62x51 rifles, but there are a couple that are probably shooting .30'06 Sprg. with this bullet. I myself have loaded the 178gr A-Max for my K31, and I'm DYING to test 'em out at range.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The M2 spec is 150 grain bullet at 2740 fps. Loading manuals have equivalent loads as do the powder manufacturers online.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp will give you starting loads for several powders that will duplicate this. Hodgden (includes IMR & Winchester) lists 15 different powders. IMR 4895, 4064, and 3031 are original Mil powders and H4895 and Varget work in the same range. Your A-Max has a higher BC than the Mil 150g bullet so may shoot "high" at long range.

·
Ask me about my 390 lbs mother in law.
1,005 Posts
I have reloaded a bunch of these bullets. I shhot them from my 3006 and milsurp rifles. You may have to work a decent load for the military rifle. My 1917 keyholed the bullet. We did use these bullets in hunting loads for our civilian rifles. They will knock a SC white tail flat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
165gr

I've never had my best loads with a 150 gr bullet....I get very accurate 165 to 175 gr bullets.

Anyone have an accurate load for this bullet? Planning to use it in a Remington 1903-A3 with four-groove barrel. Would be great if I could get a trajectory similar to that of the M2 ball so I could make full use of the rifle's sight settings.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I probably have at least a half dozen powders that should be suitable for this bullet, so I'll just start trying them. H414 is showing promise, but I've not shot it beyond 200 yards yet, so I don't know how close the sights will be farther out. No problem duplicating the MV of the Greek surplus.

Been really happy with the A-MAX bullets I've tried so far; they are as accurate as the Sierra MKs but about two bucks a box cheaper.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,475 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Norm, I appreciate your opinion of the Nosler Custom Competition bullets. The price is certainly right. The local Sportsman's Warehouse sells them for about a dollar a box (250) cheaper than Midway. Pay sales tax on one, and shipping on the other, and it's probably about the same total cost either source. May try the Nosler's when my supply of Hornady's runs out.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The Nosler or Sierra 168g are good in a 1903 or M1. I stock up on factory blems from Nosler Proshop http://www.shootersproshop.com/noslerfactory2nds.html at about half regular price. No, they donṫ sell damaged bullets, they just have handling marks or are slightly dark, not pretty enough. That would be like a car manufacturer having a special dealership for lemons - counterproductive to their reputation. I havenṫ gotten a bad bullet in thousands of Nosler 2nds.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ordtech, those are some great prices on Nosler bullets. Thanks for the link. When the 168s are back in stock, I'm going to order a couple boxes. May even try the 140 6.5 Customs, even though I just bought 500 Hornady 140 A-MAX's (got a lotta Swedes).

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
bxn65,
Keep checking back at Shooterś Proshop. You never know what will be in stock and they go fast when they are! It gave me a chance to try bullets whose cost kept me from ordering. Thatś how I found Ballistic Tips are accurate and devastating on whitetails in my Swede 9.3s. :D
D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts