Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking for one of these for quite some time and they just don't seem to come up for sale often or something looks off. This one came as part of a package deal, 1915 BSA still in mk111 configuration, an old web sling, what appears to be an early war p1908, and a hooked quillion p1907. I mainly bought the package for the hooky. I could tell from pictures that someone aggressively cleaned it but couldn't tell how bad until I got it. It looks as though someone took a grinder with a buffing wheel and tried to remove all of the blueing:( (Probably some pitting as well) and even misshaped some of the curves on outer hook and around the pommel, as if they spent too much time in one spot.
First and foremost... Anything standout as far as authenticity? It seems legit to me, but if I was an expert on the matter I wouldn't be bringing it up here ;) Aside from the embarrassingly new grips(I almost swapped them out with another for pictures... Curb thy vanity) . Aside from the unfortunate heavy handed clean up someone did and the fact that it has been sharpened at one point in time although not as bad as others I have or have seen, what might this be worth in its current state and the p1908 as well. I'm in the US but welcome any values in other countries out of curiosity. If it is indeed authentic then I think I got the rifle for free and paid for the hooky. If not I just overpaid for the rifle. :)
Thanks for any info. Cheers

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Underneath all that overcleaning, it doesn't look bad to me either although I'm no hooky expert. Unless it's obviously recent or otherwise inappropriate, sharpening isn't necessarily a bad thing. Swords and bayonets did unquestionably get sharpened on active service. I'm with TP on that frog...an unaltered early '08 frog is a very nice find...like all of the rarer pieces of p'08 kit, they can get really pricey. I looked long and hard for mine...still looking for an original helve carrier to go with it. Add an un-messed with MkIII (still need pics of the rifle of course)...makes for a really good day. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Looks good to me except the grips are later replacements. When you put them back on try and get the slots in the screw heads either in line or at 90 degrees to the bayonet. Armourers liked to leave them tidy and not at random angles and it just looks right that way.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Underneath all that overcleaning, it doesn't look bad to me either although I'm no hooky expert. Unless it's obviously recent or otherwise inappropriate, sharpening isn't necessarily a bad thing. Swords and bayonets did unquestionably get sharpened on active service. I'm with TP on that frog...an unaltered early '08 frog is a very nice find...like all of the rarer pieces of p'08 kit, they can get really pricey. I looked long and hard for mine...still looking for an original helve carrier to go with it. Add an un-messed with MkIII (still need pics of the rifle of course)...makes for a really good day. :thumbsup:
Looks to have been sharpened a long time ago and by someone who knew how to sharpen evenly and judiciously. The gentleman I purchased from collected most of his pieces in 60's and 70's and is now letting a few go. I will have the rifle in hand next week. The package came up on Gunbroker at $600 with a $700 buy it now. Had him send me a few pics and then pressed the button before someone else did. Will post rifle pics when I get it. Thank you for the link on the frogs TP, very informative. And Britplumber, I did line them up afterwards... OCD ;)

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts