Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have some time ago bought a MN and got hooked on it.

I would like to customise it as a sniper rifle but the mounts and scopes i found would cost me an arm and a leg....;-((((

I do not know what is best a PU or a PE scope ? Can anyone help ?
Also where can i find such scopes which are not that expensive ?

Any help would be much appricated.

Hooked.

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
Buy a "Scout" mount and an EER scope. The kind of mount that "clamps" on the rear sight base.
No drilling of the milsurps please.
usrifle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buy a "Scout" mount and an EER scope. The kind of mount that "clamps" on the rear sight base.
No drilling of the milsurps please.
usrifle
Hi usrifle,

First of all thank you for your help.
I have a feeling that this method is not very stable. Have you had any experiance with this ?
How is the visual at such a distance from your eyes ?
I have read some where that the PE scopes also have a tendency to get loose and this is held with bolts.

I guess you love milsurps and any interferance on the guns seems to be Taboo but I love to shoot (that why guns are made...;-))...) so I want to shoot as best i can even if i have to drill and tap.

I have an engineering background so any alterations will be done technically well.

Regards

m07

·
Silver Bullet member
1,136 Posts
Your engineering background will render your rifle historicaly worthless if you drill and tap the reciever. We do not own our rifles. History and those who follow us on this planet own the piece you have in your temporary possesion.

just my 2c

·
Registered
859 Posts
I do not think I would modify the rifle at all. It will never be a 'real' sniper. Drilling the receiver would hurt it's value. Would you not also have to do something to the stock to make it a Russian sniper? Another type of scope, as mentioned prior would work but obviously the rifle would not look like a sniper. So, the question is: what are you after? Do you want a Russian Sniper rifle or just a scope on a Mosin? If you want a Russian Sniper please buy an original. Yes, they are expensive but if it is original you will be much happier (besides, you said it will cost an arm and a leg to do it yourself). If you want a scoped rifle please buy a sporting rifle with scope (or add one). Anything you would do to modify your rifle would hurt it's value and history.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Find a mosin that has no matching numbers and drill and tap that one.That way people won't burn you for taking the value away from a rifle that is worth sooo much money that it would be a cardinal sin to modify your own property.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
Welcome!

A scope will not make you shoot better. Keep the one that you have now as original and buy a Ukranian-built (I think) reproduction sniper. They are currently priced lower than I've ever seen. Scroll about 1/2 way down the link. You will be hard pressed to buy a PU scope and attach it to your rifle for less cost than buying a repro sniper.

http://www.classicarms.us/firearms.htm

Sometimes you will feel like shooting with a scope, and sometimes you will not, and having two rifles will keep things interesting. I have a very expensive HK91 clone with Hensoldt FERO-Z scope, bipod, the works, and I usually enjoy shooting my $100 Big 5 Mosin ex-sniper more.

Keith

·
Silver Bullet member
842 Posts
Here's a couple pics of a "scout" mount and EER scope on an M39. Rock solid with no issues, this is a Darrell's mount.

usrifle

·
Registered
211 Posts
The scout mount is a very viable and worthwhile application . I have a MN 91/30 that so far I have dropped 6 bills in making the "ultimate" sniper I did it for fun . I have the disposable income to make it happen so I did . The puriest will have a baby when He sees it but its just one of 17 million 91/30's produced I didnt use a rare gun to start with Its a 1931 izzy hex . I have rare MN rifles and know when to hold them and know when to fold them I rarely know when to walk away .lol . And never ran from anything or body . Its your rifle if you wanna mount a heat seeking lazer guided double barrel sidewinder missle system and you can afford it . BY GOD DO IT!!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've restored two Ex snipers that didn't have the holes plugged and use them for shooter as they are not the real deal and the value reflects this, I've been told the Rockwell is quite high on them, drilling and tapping should be done at Tula!-SDH

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,486 Posts
Find a mosin that has no matching numbers and drill and tap that one.That way people won't burn you for taking the value away from a rifle that is worth sooo much money that it would be a cardinal sin to modify your own property.
Lots of Mosins with no matching numbers (or with force matched numbers) are worth much more and are more collectible than the matching number refurbs out there.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,433 Posts
Your engineering background will render your rifle historicaly worthless if you drill and tap the reciever. We do not own our rifles. History and those who follow us on this planet own the piece you have in your temporary possesion.

just my 2c
Gotta take issue with this. Temporary possession? I own my guns. All of them. If my grandsons grow up to be unreliable slobs I will be buried with my guns.
Totally agree on not destroying history of course but it's my history.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
I think you'll find that many folks in our hobby actually regard themselves as amateur historians and as such, merely caretakers, not 'owners', of their weapons. This is why we eschew modifying our rifles in any manner. Yes they are 'our' rifles, in that we paid good money that we earned for them, but when we're gone, well, we're gone, yet our 'work' will remain.

Also, why bury a collection to rot, when it can instead be passed on to someone else somewhere who can appreciate it for what it is, who will then in turn pass it along when its their turn to go? If no one in your family can appreciate your rifles, pass them on to someone who will. One of my father's close friends has family members who do not appreciate his collection of classic and antique telescopes. This collection, which I roughly calculate to be in six figures in net value, has been willed to me apon his death, not because he knows me well (we've never met in person) but because through my articles, etc he saw in me the same devotion to preserving antique telescopes that he has.

It seems selfish to me to deny our posterity the same pleasure from these items that we ourselves received.

Keith

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
Regarding 'ownership'. A prime example regarding ownership is that of the Nemi Ships, two huge pleasure barges built by Emporer Caligula nearly 2000 years ago on Lake Nemi in the mountains south of Rome. Sunk apon his dethronement, these ships remained in a state of near perfect preservation under the lake's surface until their raising by Italian and German engineers in the 1930s. The Germans and Italians 'owned' the ships. Although some accounts blame US artillery fire for their destruction, it is more commonly thought that the ships were intentionally burned by the retreating Germans rather than allow them to fall into Allied hands. The entire earth has been deprived of the study of these historical ships forever, except for a few charred timbers and some video and photographs. Yes burning ships isn't the same as drilling and tapping a receiver, or sanding a rifle stock (or removing the crinkled black factory paint from a brass telescope tube) but the concept is the roughly the same, and many of us feel exactly this way...

Keith

1 - 20 of 40 Posts