Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,034 Posts
I've been using the original Freechex for a few yrs now .Its simple and works well with material the correct thickness to match your needs.

Tim
That is a key statement. As many of you know I am new to the casting game but as a machinist I am no stranger to numbers. The video of the freecheck III states .012" thick material. The bullet I am casting has a .281" diameter base to put the gas check on. If you try to install a gas check that has .012" walls onto a .281" base you would need a .304" bullet sizer die for a .001" squeeze. The Hornady gas checks are made with .016" thick copper. .281+.016+.016=.313" If you are using a .312 or smaller sizer die you will get a good crimp fit. It seems to me you would need to alter your bullet mould to use the thinner material check. Is this not true? Am I missing something here? Sure you could glue them on but if they don't fit your bore then the gas pressure can just go around them.

· Registered
3,034 Posts
I know I asked you guys about the gas check fit a couple weeks ago. I"m using a .314 die and the checks are just snug. The mold measured .282" I set my mold up and bored it to .285" That should give a good fit with the .314 die and still be good with the .311 die. I havn't casted any yet. We bought some linotype and am waiting fot it to be delivered. I actually wrote the post about check thickness the day after I bored my mold. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I don't think he is intentionally trying to be missleading in but it is what it is and to someone just getting started in casting it is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.