Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· PlatinumBullet Member
19,009 Posts
Found it very interesting thanks for posting. Saw that one about the freechex II before.

· PlatinumBullet Member
19,009 Posts
A neat idea, but where do you people get your time ? I reload and cast, but have started using mainly pulled surplus bullets in my reloads because between work, kids, and taking care of the yard etc. I have vey little time to do anything else. I know the extra satisfaction that comes with doing-making things yourself, but i think sizing on factory gas checks is where I draw the line.
Divide your time and don't do everything in one day. I do, or try to do, a little each night for a couple of hours. Like one night tumble clean the cases. (you can do this while doing other things) The next night size them and sort by different case lengths. The next night trim if needed, and chamfer. The next night clean primer pockets and deburr flashhole. Then have everything prepped and ready to load. I always cast on one of my two days off, when I cast, and lube and size, if needed, then relube the same night and set them up to dry. That way I have enough bullets ready for loading after all my case prep is done.
Just try to do what you can each night or so.
With this FreeChex III tool, it seems if you set aside one hour each week, you can make more checks than you will shoot.
My only concern would be having to purchase another mounted tool in the arbor press.

· PlatinumBullet Member
19,009 Posts
That is a key statement. As many of you know I am new to the casting game but as a machinist I am no stranger to numbers. The video of the freecheck III states .012" thick material. The bullet I am casting has a .281" diameter base to put the gas check on. If you try to install a gas check that has .012" walls onto a .281" base you would need a .304" bullet sizer die for a .001" squeeze. The Hornady gas checks are made with .016" thick copper. .281+.016+.016=.313" If you are using a .312 or smaller sizer die you will get a good crimp fit. It seems to me you would need to alter your bullet mould to use the thinner material check. Is this not true? Am I missing something here? Sure you could glue them on but if they don't fit your bore then the gas pressure can just go around them.
If the gas check shank of your cast bullet measures .281, what you're saying is exactly right. A check with a thickness of .012 is to small and will not seal the bore. You would have to open up the shank part of the mold to .289 to give you a diameter of .313, with the check, to give you .001 over your .312 bore size. Being a machinst, you should be able to work this. You would have to go with material at .016 thickness with the same .281 diameter shank to achive the same results.
Almost bedtime for bonzo and you got my brain smoking this early in the morning. LOL
Warren

· PlatinumBullet Member
19,009 Posts
Check out Cast Boolits. Check the stickys. You can find a lot of info about lapping molds to open them up a little.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.