Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Gold Bullet member
1,231 Posts
I've been using the original Freechex for a few yrs now .Its simple and works well with material the correct thickness to match your needs.

Tim

· Gold Bullet member
1,231 Posts
That is a key statement. As many of you know I am new to the casting game but as a machinist I am no stranger to numbers. The video of the freecheck III states .012" thick material. The bullet I am casting has a .281" diameter base to put the gas check on. If you try to install a gas check that has .012" walls onto a .281" base you would need a .304" bullet sizer die for a .001" squeeze. The Hornady gas checks are made with .016" thick copper. .281+.016+.016=.313" If you are using a .312 or smaller sizer die you will get a good crimp fit. It seems to me you would need to alter your bullet mould to use the thinner material check. Is this not true? Am I missing something here? Sure you could glue them on but if they don't fit your bore then the gas pressure can just go around them.
You are Oh So correct Motor,That is why alot of people became disinchanted with the free chex's when they first came out He advertized using . soda can alum. which is only .004 thick on average,Well guess what the results were!!!! I have had to modify mine to suit my needs and sizes as the forming die only had a .308 hole in it ,not good if you need .314 checks! I use .012-.016 material and get checks that work perfectly.

Motor your bullet shank size is a bit small actually it should be .284,dont know if you did this or not but just break the top edges of the mould halves with a fine stone for better fill out on the shank,if that dont help hone or lap out the areas you need bigger.

Tim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.