Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,

I have read a few articles and a book about the auxiliary units of the home guard that where meant to act as a resistance movement in case of the Nazi invasion.

All the things I read have talked about a special sniper rifle that was issued to each six man "cell". It is in the .22 calibre is silenced and apparently had some sort of night scope attached. I'm not sure of the maker, although I think maybe BSA, Parker Hale or Winchester, I can't find any photos or info.

Does anyone have any photos or info about these?

Cheers all,
Lachy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've got some info somewhere, now where the hell is it? I'll try and get the old grey cells going. If memory serves it was based on a Winchester .22" fitted with a Parker Hale moderator and rings and employed the No42 scope.

Cheers,
Simon

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mate, I think that’s it. Where did you get that information from, a SOE manual?

I have never seen any of these rifles after the war in private hands, maybe because of the limited number produced and the fact that it has a silencer fitted.

What scope where you talking about Simon the number the no42 scope? What kind of scope was this.

Anyone’s ideas/information/photos would be apprenticed.

Cheers all,
Lachy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The No42 scope was effectively a No32, which was originally destined for us on the Bren, without the adjustment drums and was originally intended as an artillery sight. The No42 scopes are sought after these days for spare parts because the lenses are the same as thos in the No32 MkI and MkII scopes. The later No53 scope used the same lenses as the No32 MkIII, both the 42 and 53 appear fairly regularly on E-pay.

I think I've got a drawing somewhere of the original Bren gun cradle for the No32 scope and also some info on trials that where carried out during the war to manufacture a "Resistance" sniper rifle using either the Patt 14 or No4 rifles and No42 and 53 scopes.

Cheers,
Simon.

Found two of them, Bren Gun and No4 Rifle with No53 scope.

·
Copper Bullet member
667 Posts
I do not believe this is what your loking for but I have aquired a Mossberg 44m that is threaded for (what I believe) is a Parker Hale. It is an interesting peice and I would LOVE to complete the package if anyone knows of 1 hanging around. I would also be interested if anyone knew that these saw any service. It is US proofed. Sorry if I digressed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
scope mount

looking for prints of scope mounts
have some 1:1 scale prints to swap
rolling block,highwall, farrow, aothers and tang sights.
john

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I own both the Mossberg M44 US and the M44(a) US. The "(a)" apparently ment that the receiver was drilled and tapped for a scope mount. The Mossberg company made a comnercial mount and a "Mossberg" marked scope that fits it. I own a set of this. I have never heard of military sales of this mount.
How is you receiver marked - photos? How is it set up for scope mounting?

Tom

·
Registered
33 Posts
Auxiliiary Unit .22 Winchester

The book you need is called "Last Ditch" by David Lampe - published about 1969. I have a spare copy up for sale if you get stuck

They had a WW1 vintage scope & P/H moderator

If you want pictures from the book let me know

The Aux Units were also the 1st in the UK to be issued plastic explosive & Thompson SMG's

Not many of them left now - there is a dedicated museum in Suffolk & a good thread on one of the WW2 Forums I am a member of

Hope that helps, Jon

·
Registered
806 Posts
there is a book called infantry weapons of world war 11, written jan suermont. The book
has info and color pics of what you are talking about on page122 & 123. Both are win.
m 69 and m94. issued to the home guard of britian.in the pics the m69 has the silencer
on it.If you look close the barrel on the m94 appears threaded.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I read the thread title and I thought it was about defending one's home with sniper rifles.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,578 Posts
In Oct. I saw an original Winchester, suppessed, 22 rimfire, credited to SOE in the Imperial War Museum in London. I will try to post a pic, but what a dark place and through glass the pics are poor. Many of these were scoped, but not this example.

In the second picture you can see the treaded barrel and the suppressor is just above that.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,578 Posts
That helps. Thanks Capn.. The museum is a must see but all glass and poor lighting. Really hard to get pictures of a lot of the goodies. There was an M1 carbine fitted with a ZF-41 scope in the next case. Lots of good guns and quite a few snipers. I had my small cheap camera with me. Should have carried the better camera.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the pictures, I had long forgotten about this thread.

Cheers,
Lachy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts