Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the M1894 Norwegian Krag long rifle that I purchased off GunBroker arrived at my dealer this morning and I made a beeline to pick it up. I must say, I am very pleased with this rifle. It didn't disappoint at all! It might not be mint, but I'd definitely say much better than average. It definitely appears 100% all matching. I didn't take apart the magazine, and I'm not sure I will as it looks like a pain in the butt, but the follower matches. So does the triggerguard, bolt, bolt sleeve, cocking piece, safety, magazine cutoff and extractor. The other parts were shown as matching in the auction pics; stock, buttplate, both barrel bands, rear sight base, leaf and slider. The bore is like a mirror without a trace of darkness and nice sharp rifling. The blueing is in excellent shape with some minor freckling in places such as the magazine box, rear sight and parts of the barrel. The triggerguard and buttplate have turned to patina, although I don't think the buttplate is as bad as the sellers picture seemed to be. Hopefully one day soon I can get it to the range and see if it shoots as good as it looks! I must say, this rifle certainly wasn't cheap, but now that I have it, I don't have any regrets about purchasing it! I've waited for a good seven or eight years to find one in this condition and it was certainly worth the wait! I do have some questions though. I notice on the magazine cutoff, one side is marked AA and the other S, are these abbreviations for something? Also, the front sight base has the letter S on it and the rear sight base has a D and B. Do these stand for anything? I've included plenty of pics as I promised. I even included a family photo of my three Krag long rifles. Top is the Danish M1889/10 (made in 1910), the U.S. M1898 (made in 1900) and the Norwegian M1894 (made in 1918).

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some additional pics of some of the numbered parts. It was impossible to get a decent photo of the follower numbers without disassembling the magazine so I didn't get one of it. I also didn't bother with the barrel bands as they were included in the auction pics that were included in the link in the earlier post.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are some pics of the sights. All matching numbers here. I don't know if any of the letter stampings signify anything or not. Interesting how the Norwegians used those funky screws on the sights!

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the original post about this rifle before I took possession of it, one of the posters mentioned that it looked like the stock had been sanded a little. Now that I have had the chance to examine it in person, I'm not sure. The fact that the serial number and proofs are faded would indicate that it could possibly have been. But I also noticed that due to their location, if your a right handed shooter, the serial number and proofs are in a spot that would frequently be rubbed by your fingers and palm, which could lead to their deterioration. Also, the stock lines are mostly very clean and crisp. The wood is "proud" in area's like the buttplate, triggerguard and rear sling swivel. Also, notice in some of the pictures above of the rear sight how nice the edges of the handguard are. I've included additional photo's to solicit opinions on whether or not it has been sanded. I really don't know, in a way I think it might have and in a way I think not. If it has been, it was done by someone who knew what they were doing. They maintained the edges very nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
I notice on the magazine cutoff, one side is marked AA and the other S, are these abbreviations for something? Also, the front sight base has the letter S on it and the rear sight base has a D and B. Do these stand for anything?

Ok so AA means apent magazine (open magazine)
S for stengt magazine (close magazine)
The rear sight was borne before to use the old M/94 6,5mm ammunition with a cilinder 160 grains bullet and, in 1924, modified to use the ammunition with the new 139 grain spitzer D bullet.

regards

·
Silver Bullet member
1,094 Posts
Looks like a realy nice one. I am glad that it turned out for the best for you. I also agree that the butt plate doesn't seem as bad as the picture on the auction made it out to be.

·
Gold Bullet member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Range Report

Despite the rain, I was able to get the Norsk Krag out to the range this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I had a few rounds of the Swedish surplus "prickskytte" ammo, but decided to save it for another day. Instead I tried some handloads just to see what it could do. Overall, I would have to say that this is one of the more pleasant milsurp rifles to shoot. The sights are decent as compared to some of the others from the era and the trigger was usable. It isn't the nicest of my surplus rifles, but certainly isn't the worst either. I think the thing I like the most about it is the grip. Its got to be the most comfortable grip I've ever felt on any military rifle. All my shooting was done shooting five rounds off a benchrest at 100 yards to try to get the best accuracy out of the rifle. I had three different loads with me, all of them using Lapua brass and CCI large rifle primers. The first was using a 107 gr. Sierra hollowpoint boattail match bullet backed by 40.0 grains of Varget powder. I didn't know what to expect out of this load because of the bullet being much lighter than what the rifle was originally designed for but was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be the most accurate load of the day. It turned out a five shot group of about 2 1/8". Next load was using a 140 gr. Hornady soft point spitzer backed by 35.0 grains of Varget powder. It did acceptably well putting five rounds into about 2 3/4". Lastly was a load using a 160 gr. Sierra semi-pointed soft point. It put five rounds into just over 3 inches, but four of those shots were just under 2 inches. All in all, I'm very happy with the accuracy this Norsk Krag produced, especially considering it was my first time out with the rifle. I'm hoping that with a little tailoring of the loads, I can get a five round grouping in the sub 2 inch range. This is performance thats right there with the best of my milsurps.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.