Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a Nambu Holster strap and what would something like this be worth? Has an anchor on back of the buckle.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm sorry I can't post "new threads" but, can reply to an ongoing thread. I reported this to Scott B on the K98 boards and an hopeing this problem will be fixed soon.

I don't collect Japanese, but do mostly K98's and Mosin's.

Here's my question.

A co-worker of my wife asked me look at a pistol that they have from a uncle who passed away 40 years ago who had been a WW2 vet. She told my wife that they didn't have a clue what kind of pistol it was or even if it was loaded. Today I meet this co-worker in their parking lot and I'D the pistol as Japanese and was able to get the mag out which was empty.

However, I haven't been able to open the chamber to see if it has a round in it. I've been screwing around with this for a few hours (going nowhere near the trigger) without luck.

I need to get it open to make sure this pistol is safe!

Anyway, I went thru the internet and have I'D it as a type 14 made in 1943 (using that 1925 system) the mag all parts i"ve saw so far match including the mag.

B/T/W the holster on this pistol does have a sholder type strap, kind looks like it would loop over your head (which looks almost new but very dry from sitting in an attic for years)

Anyway, can anyone help with getting the chamber open on this pistol, Like what am I doing wrong, it shouldn't be this hard

Thank's in advance

J. strunk

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
If you are pulling on the cocking knob and nothing happens either it is frozen up from setting in the attic all these years or the safety is on. If the safety is in the safe position rotate the safety forward and then you should be able to pull the bolt back.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Type-14

Thank you, it's empty. Never handled one of these before! And yes, it was very very sluggish.

Numbers on the slide, near the end, also match.

Finish on pistol has good blueing, but, from sitting along time there is very slight surface rust, light, but blueing not 100 percent. I'm not sure but, this might be due to it sitting in the holster for years.

However, I've looked at the holster and I'll swear it's not 100 percent leather. I've been looking at that strap as well and I don't think it's made out of leather either..... parts of it are, like near the straping to close the holster and near the clasp on the strap, but the main parts of these aren't leather. I'm not real sure what these are made of.

Anyway, I'm going to oil this and return it to her on Friday.

Just in case, if she wants to sell this what's a fair ball park amount for one's of these, as well as the holster......ball park will do it's in good shape ---not new.

She also told me that she also has a sword from this same uncle, now here's something I have totally zero info on these, but know some Japanese swords can be worth a lot of $.

Anyway, if I can post pictures (not sure if you can do so when replying to a thread) I'll do so on Friday morning in daylight and post then before returning pistol and holster.

Anyway, thank you again for your quick responce, it helped.

J. strunk

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Posting photos would be most helpful in giving you a value. Holster and strap if not leather will be made out of rubberized canvas. And in likelihood is very stiff and dry where a good one is very pliable. Is there a second magazine and if so does it match? Does the magazine in the pistol match? Is there a cleaning rod in the holster and spare firing pin? All of these can lead to a few more dollars when looking at value. But in case you can't post photos and going only on what you have given value could be in the $400 - $500 range IMHO but that is sight unseen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.