Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now we're all aware that Hollywood and guns can be a bad combo (what is this "technical accuracy" thing?), but how many times have you watched something and find yourself looking closely at the weaponry on the screen and thought, "that looks familiar/wrong"?
The first examples that come to mind are from the movies "The League of Extradordinary Gentlemen", and more recently "Chimera" on Sci-Fi Channel.
In "League", the army of henchmen that attack the protagonists in a few scenes are using boxy, automatic rifles. Underneath some you can see these "weapons" are being fed by 30-rnd AK magazines. Does this prove they're using AK-clones? Maybe, maybe not, but consider, this is the film industry we're talking about, and it's easier and cheaper to build onto, or mask an existing system/device than build something that's functionally the same from scratch (T-55 "Tiger" anyone?).

The second example, "Chimera", takes the humble AK, and tries to convert them into an M16A2. The best way to describe this would be to imagine an AK receiver, surrounded by M16 parts; fixed butt stock, carry handle, barrel assembly. Nasty.

Photos as soon as I can find them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Made Up Hollywood Firearms

And some of the guns in the film "Aliens" are Thompson SMGs fitted with plastic parts. And Robocop's gun in the original film was a full auto Beretta 9mm with fitted plastic parts.

It's done all the time in movies for various reasons including to make a present day firearm into some futuristic looking gun.

To build something from scratch can involve lots of money which is often not budgeted for in the film. Just to fit a present day firearm with the plastic parts, etc. can also be quite expensive.

Also, to build something from scratch means the prop house who does so has to have a manufacturer's FFL. Many do have such licenses, but they have to comply with all sorts of rules and regulations and, once again, it usually is not worth the time, trouble and expense to do so. It's a lot easier (and cheaper) to take an existing firearm and simply modify its appearance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lets not forget starwars, Han Solo was packing a mauser pistol, and the storm troopers carried dressed up sterling SMGs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wish I could remember the name of the movie I'm thinking of. Anyways our troops in WWII were carrying the sks instead of M1s...lol. I couldn't beleive it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
HOLLY wOOD hUMPUPS

REMEMBER THE ALAMO111111 The John Wayne Version had trapdoors and 7mm Rolling block rifles fitted with hugh phony flintlock devices that masked the original actions. Don't forget the Three Stooges when they were in the Army and had phony Trapdoors. Of course this seems prudent. I have seen Fighting SeaBees where the treacherous enemy soldiers are armed with Krags and Gewher 98's The list is endless Hooray for Hollywood.. RETREAD

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wish I could remember the name of the movie I'm thinking of. Anyways our troops in WWII were carrying the sks instead of M1s...lol. I couldn't beleive it.
I saw the same thing on a History Channel special about Nazi rocket scientists during and after the war. The American troops are all carryinh SKSs with the bayonets removed.

·
Silver Bullet Member
126 Posts
There was a scene in "The Good Shepard" where:

The Soviet troops were carrying SKS's openly in Berlin at the end of the war....they might have had them, but they were still in small numbers and still in the prototype stage...and the russians worked overtime to keep them under wraps...I had to stop the film to make sure I knew what I was looking at.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
And the Wookie in Star wars was carrying an MG 34 (modified of course).
What was the movie title where the GIs were carrying SKSs? Never heard of that one.
There was a movie about the fighting in france and the Battle of Britian - 633Sqdn, I think? - that had the Germans carring Enfields and the Brits carrying Mausers, but it got worse! In the Battle of Britian scienes the Brits were flying ME 109s and the Germasns were flying Spitfires - all with the appropriate markings. Talk about a screwed up movie!!! :mad:

nd
What film did you see that in???
What I've read was that the ruskies issued about 10,000 prototype SKSs for field test in the Crimea in very late 44 or very early 45.
To my knowlege there are no photos of them using SKSs durring the war so your reference is of great interest to me.
Sarge

·
Banned
110 Posts
The most classic gun transformation in a movie has to be "Planet of the Apes"
where the apes carry enfields with black wooden sporter stocks. Look for them in the scene where they are chasing the humans through the field on horseback.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
I've seen a lot of movies where guns of the wrong era were being used. The palace gurad with No.4 Enfields in Shanghai Knights for example.

As far as made up guns, none can be worse than in the movie "Bridge of Dragons." Probably the worst movie ever made in the entire world. Guys are blowing up helicopters with RPGs that don't have the rocket, half of the evil warlords guys are dressed like WWII Germans with MP40s while the rest seem to be riding around in horse drawn buggies. I can't even get into how stupid this movie is. Helicopters were shooting from their rotors, unbelieveable. Here's a pic of the main character, Warchild, and his gun. Hmm, I wonder waht that used to be?

·
Registered
185 Posts
The original Planet of The Apes wre carrying M1 carbines with a plastic overstock and plastic overstocked S&W revolvers. BTW I have a Remington 7mm RB rifle with flintlock add-ons put on by BATJAC. Looks kinda cool, yet just wrong.Got that at a gunshow years back. Figure I will keep like it was made up for the ALAMO.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Star Ship Trooper use Ruger Mini-14. You can see the cocking handle, bolt and ejection or empties on close up shots.

Last season of Dr Who have couple of non-butchered AK47. They even field stripped it and you can see the recoil spring assembly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts