Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am refinishing the stock of my very first rifle, a sporterized 96 Swedish Mauser. I took the rubber buttpad off of the rifle (which, I swear, Bubba had painted red with a paintbrush) and there are three holes drilled into the butt. Each is ½ inch by 5 inches deep. I'm in the process of stripping it, and plan to use linseed oil to finish it. My understanding is that the linseed oil is supposed to be on every bit of wood in order keep moisture from warping the wood at all. Do I fill the holes with wood putty, and linseed over it? Should I pour linseed oil into the holes, then pour it out every time I oil it? Can I fill the holes with silicone caulk, then wood putty, then linseed oil? They will be covered by the buttpad, so the seal does not need to look nice. Please help a rookie!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is not necessary I won't do it, but when reading about using BLO to finish a stock all the pages/videos stressed the importance of multiple coats on all surfaces of the stock to ensure proper waterproofing. I don't want to seal all of the wood other than 3 holes 5 inches deep if that will cause issues.

·
Registered
25,263 Posts
If you absolutely must fill them, just buy some hardwood dowels of the approximate size and glue them in and trim off the excess.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
If you absolutely must fill them, just buy some hardwood dowels of the approximate size and glue them in and trim off the excess.
This is the correct answer.
Use a waterproof wood glue (NOT Gorilla Glue, it foams and makes a mess), and use hardwood dowels that are a good fit in the holes.

However, there's no need to fill the holes, and no real need to get any wood finish into the holes.
Many military rifles have large holes in the butt for cleaning gear.
Just ignore the holes and coat the end grain of the butt to seal it.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,482 Posts
This is the correct answer.
Use a waterproof wood glue (NOT Gorilla Glue, it foams and makes a mess), and use hardwood dowels that are a good fit in the holes.

However, there's no need to fill the holes, and no real need to get any wood finish into the holes.
Many military rifles have large holes in the butt for cleaning gear.
Just ignore the holes and coat the end grain of the butt to seal it.
+1

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,482 Posts
No need to fill them unless the presence just bugs you. If you do, just get some hardwood dowels that are a sliding (NOT tight or force) fit, smear with a good carpenter's wood glue (the yellow Elmer's works fine) and slide them home, end flush with the back of the stock. Let cure for a day, make sure the dowels really are not standing proud (really best to cut them a little short so they are recessed a little, quarter inch maybe), put your favored finish on the end grain of stock and dowels and Bob's your uncle. but you don't need to do any of that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts