Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one or tried it? My Baikal is a great shooter but the edges of the grip frame are very sharp. My hands are small so a Pierce is out of the question.

TY Dave

·
Gold Bullet member
1,099 Posts
Dave,

You might try one of the rubber "slip on" type grip gloves that stretch over the orginal grips. Not as bulky or as much padding as a Pierce but a lot better than nothing, especialy for a range session.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have one on my CZ-82 and Love it and planning on putting one on my PA-63. You may have to trim it just a little but just depends on how you want it to look. I think that it takes some of the felt vibration out when shooting. It should fit fine. I have the larger one with the two finger grooves on mine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I go back and forth between an E. German grip w/ a Hogue Slip on, and the Pierce replacement grips. I think I'm staying at the Pierce as the are like giant shock obsorber. The hogue slip on is still great for taking up some of the felt vibration.
I have on on my CZ-52 but never tried on a Mak.
Back in the mid 90's when I was a pup my ex-step dad use to have a slip on Hogue on the cz52 as well as his ij70 mak. After shooting the p83 toady I think it needs a pair as well. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It might be heretical, but A couple of minutes with a needle file would solve that ;). Of course you would have to refinish those sections. But that is a small thing to do to get a comfortable grip solution for long term shooting. Especially if it is going to be your defensive pistol and be practiced with a lot. I have filed off sharp edges on numerous pistols to make them comfortable to shoot. My SP101 had some horrendous sharp edges, as did the Redhawk, easy finx on stainless stell no refnishing really needed either. But have done it on other blued pistols also. All you need to is slightly round the edges, which are not even noticible and do not alter the looks in the least.

If the slight recoil of the Mak does not bother you otherwise, with a small hand, I would not go to larger or padded grips which may well affect your hand position and shooting. I use the EG grips and barely feel it, but I am not recoil sensitive and use ivory grips on my .44 magnum Redhawk because I hate sticky rubber grips.

·
Administrator
4,833 Posts
I tried the Houges and Mak Wraps back when I first got a Mak and really didn't like either of them. I switched to the Pearce and they're great grips just too bulky (at least for me) for my carry Bulgie. I do carry a set of the Pierce grips in my range bag and swap them out at the rang when I'm going to be shooting a lot. I'm not recoil sensitive but it sure makes it easier on these old hands. I've tried most of the grips out there and the EG's are for me at lest the best carry grips around.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I tried the Houges and Mak Wraps back when I first got a Mak and really didn't like either of them. I switched to the Pearce and they're great grips just too bulky (at least for me) for my carry Bulgie. I do carry a set of the Pierce grips in my range bag and swap them out at the rang when I'm going to be shooting a lot. I'm not recoil sensitive but it sure makes it easier on these old hands. I've tried most of the grips out there and the EG's are for me at lest the best carry grips around.
I agree with you entirely on this one. When I first got my EG, it had that black thumb rest grip on it and it really bothered me at the range. So, I tried a Pearce grip and it was a pleasure to shoot but, felt too fat to carry. So, just for the heck of it, I picked up an original EG grip and, bingo, the gun now feels great to hold and recoil is very tolerable. No slip-on needed for me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For me, the regular issue grips are the best.

I've tried to figure out where the "sharp edges" are on a Mak....my Bulgarians don't seem to have any. Is this a Russian thing? Or am I not able to figure out the difference? (With me, the second is easily possible!)

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for your input. Sounds like I will hold-off buying a Hand-all for now.

My current Mak is the Baikal commercial IJ70-18A. I love it but the grip frame has sharp edges, especially in the front. I hesitate smoothing them out because knowing me, sooner or later I'll see something else I want and will sell it. So, I hate to take away from the originality.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I tried the hand all on a Bulg Mak and didn't care much for it for it. For the Mak I stuck with the Pearce grips. I tried very hard to get use to the Makawraps on another, but it felt awkward...like holding a piece of wood. Now, for the my P-64, the Hand works like a charm...go figure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts