Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not paid much attention for a while and mostly sold off my extras. I'm ready to break out the 91 again but I need a few things. Does anyone know a good source to buy mags and a claw mount scope base? I'd like to get the German claw mount and roughly 10 more mags.

·
Registered
845 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Steel mags will beat up the magwell. Buy the alloy ones.

Conelrad

·
Registered
845 Posts
Steel mags will beat up the magwell. Buy the alloy ones.

Conelrad
The alloy magazines are much better, IMHO. Lighter too.

I would not beat up an HK91, it's a collector piece. Having the accessories is one thing but dressing it up and shooting it is another.

The OP would be better off getting a PTR-91 if he wants a shooter to dress up. The PTR also has the magazine release paddle just like the service G3 rifles too. The HK-91's had that feature removed for import/sporter purposes.

All the HK hardware fits on a PTR-91 without issue.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
The claw mount, will leave marks, on the top cover.
If one puts it on then leaves it on I don't see a problem. How these 91/93 rifles get marked up is with repeated mounting/ unmounting of the Stanag Mt. over the years.
Just leave the Damn thing on, problem solved.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If one puts it on then leaves it on I don't see a problem. How these 91/93 rifles get marked up is with repeated mounting/ unmounting of the Stanag Mt. over the years.
Just leave the Damn thing on, problem solved.
Right, I just ordered a new original scope and mount. I plan on installing it, sighting it in and leaving it. I think of the small marks on the HK's from the scope mount like the AK safety scratch. It's just part of the rifle. At the end of the day, I'd rather have a nice correct original set up. I suppose you could put a small piece of electrical tape under the mount areas if it bothers you but they may be excess pressure.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
The alloy magazines are much better, IMHO. Lighter too.

I would not beat up an HK91, it's a collector piece. Having the accessories is one thing but dressing it up and shooting it is another.

The OP would be better off getting a PTR-91 if he wants a shooter to dress up. The PTR also has the magazine release paddle just like the service G3 rifles too. The HK-91's had that feature removed for import/sporter purposes.

All the HK hardware fits on a PTR-91 without issue.
That depends how the op treats his Guns, if he treats them with respect like I do I see no problem shooting the HK.
On the other hand if he tosses them in the back of the pickup truck and lets them bounce around well better off shooting the PTR.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Can a mag. release paddle be reinstalled in an HK-91, and where would I find one?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Can a mag. release paddle be reinstalled in an HK-91, and where would I find one?
Yes it can. It will require a refinish of the weapon which ruins the collector value to some but the conversion increases value to others so it is wash. If you are going to install the magazine paddle release then you might want to think about just doing a full G3 conversion (~$900) as you are 1/3 of the way there. Once again, you supply the parts (trigger packs, housing, grenade ring, paddle mag release, etc..) and they can be found at HKparts.net or RTG parts.

Most people have a gunsmith do it and you supply the parts. I am not recommending anyone...just trying to help you see the resources available.

TSC Machine will do it for 325 bucks for example and again, you supply the parts:

http://www.tscmachine.com/ServicesPrice.html

https://hdps.org/htm/7.htm

Shop around. Check at the HKpro forums too.

You can buy the jig or use calipers to manually do it yourself:

https://www.paragonpride.com/forum/threads/ptr-paddle-mag-conversion-diy.7105/

It is a PIA and a great way to ruin a very nice weapon if you do not know what you are doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts