Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Well, I haven't been able to find anyone selling what I want... maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.

I have one of the early Springfield SAR-8s with what I believe is an original handguard. It is missing the spring and front bracket that would normally allow me to mount a light bipod. I'm assuming these parts were considered evil features and were never installed. So...

Here are my options, in order of preference...

1.) Purchase of just a light bipod attachment hardware kit (spring, screws, front 'bracket').

2.) Purchase of a US made wide forearm with bipod attachment hardware installed.

3.) Purchase of a factory wide forearm with bipod attachment hardware installed. I've already located some in the $60 range, but this seems a tad high.

Anyways, thanks everyone.

Keith

·
Gold Bullet member
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have a wide forearm on the rifle, but...typical for me...I didn't do enough research beforehand to realize I was missing the bipod attachment hardware. I ordered a new handguard with correct hardware from Robertrtg. This mistake cost me an additional $10, plus the extra shipping, over ordering the handguard and bipod together, but that'll have to be OK I guess. I did find a cheaper handguard on Gunbroker, but I had to order additional stuff so in the end it all worked out to within a few bucks anyway. My rifle is black.

This conversion of a non 922 compliant SAR-8 is costing some serious bucks. Fortunately, its not an HK or it would be costing me much more. Original HK forearm with attachment hardware, POF bipod, and PTR-made grip, trigger group, buttstock and charging handle are running somewhere in the area of $450+ with shipping. Included in this is a POF port buffer and carry handle. Since by muzzle device is pinned, not welded, not threaded, I believe I only have 16 foreign parts to worry about, so these 6 should suffice. I had to split orders between PTR (pg), Robertrtg(bipod, forearm, buffer and handle) and HKparts (compliance parts) to get everything I needed. Add in the Fero-Z scope and stanag mount I bought a year ago, and I've got quite a bit in this thing.

Keith

·
Gold Bullet member
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Just a quick clarifying question that I covered a bit earlier. If a flash hider is pinned or welded, is it or isn't it counted in the 922 parts count? I don't think it is, but I haven't been able to find a specific yes or no anywheres. Thanks.

I don't currently have any closeup pictures of my rifle's flash hider, but isn't fixed, it will rotate around the barrel but not unscrew. There is a pin, apparently similar to a cotter pin in function, that slips through the rear of the device and engages knurling on the barrel to keep the device in place. Once installed, the pin is completely enclosed by the body of the hider...it doesn't stick out, but can be fairly easily removed. The flash hider is a birdcage style, real slots, not faked cuts. Does this qualify as 'pinned'.

I hope I described this correctly enough to make sense.

Keith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.