Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been offered this post 1938 without motto Arthur Schuttelhofer & Co knife. Looks decent. I have had others by same maker in the past, but none like this with an etched rzm marking rather than stamped into the metal. Is this a variant known to exist? I have not seen one with etched marking before so i wonder if this is a mid or late war method used to mark their blades?
Collar Tableware Tints and shades Blade Dagger

Brown Watch Rectangle Font Wood

Helmet Knife Everyday carry Wood Tool

Wood Rectangle Font Tints and shades Pattern

Wood Collar Tints and shades Dress shirt Rectangle

· Premium Member
2,987 Posts
It is a tough call for me and will be interested as to what others have to say. Does the HJ diamond have any wiggle or appear to be glued in? I have not seen and etched logo but that is not saying much. Leads me down the path of a boy scout knife that was etched and the diamond added. Wait for more educated folks.
John

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a tough call for me and will be interested as to what others have to say. Does the HJ diamond have any wiggle or appear to be glued in? I have not seen and etched logo but that is not saying much. Leads me down the path of a boy scout knife that was etched and the diamond added. Wait for more educated folks.
John
I wad thinking the same. I'll get back with seler for better pictures etc

· Registered
1,525 Posts
Seems to be quite a few M7/13 Shuttlehofer made HJ knives on the internet....I like the cross grain in the photos and believe it to be a good one....Is there a lip at the mouth of the scabbard?...This is a characteristic often found on remakes....Bodes

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bodes I did read up on the scabbards and have found out about the lip, unfortunately this one does not have a scabbard. Waiting for more pictures of the diamond as well as the marking. I do remember that the diamonds have a little bit of Wiggle on them but I'm hoping this one does, the cross grain in the steel looks good but the etched marking looks pretty dark and pretty new. But that doesn't say much because I've seen knives that look brand new

· Registered
8 Posts
I had been offered this post 1938 without motto Arthur Schuttelhofer & Co knife. Looks decent. I have had others by same maker in the past, but none like this with an etched rzm marking rather than stamped into the metal. Is this a variant known to exist? I have not seen one with etched marking before so i wonder if this is a mid or late war method used to mark their blades?
View attachment 4044148
View attachment 4044149
View attachment 4044150
View attachment 4044147
View attachment 4044146
Its a later pattern knife. The RZM number was properly etched on the blade. Earliest knives had the motto and the manufacturers logo, then just the logo and finally the RZM code. M 7 is the category of weapon, 13 is the code number for the manufacturing firm. The blade looks to be in excellent shape. I believe it's a keeper.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a later pattern knife. The RZM number was properly etched on the blade. Earliest knives had the motto and the manufacturers logo, then just the logo and finally the RZM code. M 7 is the category of weapon, 13 is the code number for the manufacturing firm. The blade looks to be in excellent shape. I believe it's a keeper.
That's what i figured a later pattern. In the past I had bought a very early make by the same manufacturer it was found in an old farmhouse way out in the Eastern Plains of Colorado. Blade was stamped with a horizontal marking across blade. I had never seen an etched variation before. I should have figured it was late war given the no motto and etch.

· Premium Member
2,987 Posts
It really comes down to a stamped vs etched RZM marking. I have not seen an etched before The blade and grips on boy scout knives look the same and were made in Solingen. Someone will know if an etched logo is correct.
John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts