Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our local show is this weekend (we only get two big shows a year). I went Friday afternoon right at opening hoping to find a deal. As I was talking with a lady I had just purchased some books from I noticed the barrel of a M91 sticking out from the end of a rack an isle over. So after we got done chatting I headed right over with great anticipation, hoping to score a nice M91 or possibly a dragoon. As I came up to the rifle I noticed something odd; holy smoke this guy had a m/39 SOV (may have been a repro but the scope/mount was legit), regular M39, M28, M28-30, stepped barrel M24, M91, SVT-40, Soumi, a Tokerev, ect ect. My heart started to pound as you never see any Finns at our local gunshow other than the odd overpriced M39. I have only found one SA marked 91/30 in several years at this show. I couldn't beleive it, the mother load of Finns. Now my heart sank as I realized the fine gentlemen behind the table had decided to come and set up a display of Finnish weapons and gear. Nothing was for sale.
Oh well I got to meet a fellow Finn collector, had a great conversation and it was nice to see his display after year after year of 1911 and 03A3 displays. I hope he wins for best display.
Richard if you happen to read this I enjoyed your display and the good conversation.

PAshutr3

·
Gold Bullet member
2,120 Posts
Gosh, you got my heart pounding, too! I thought you were going to say next that they were all marked $99, you know, them old roosian rifles....;)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
at a show this weekend, i saw a 1934 m27 tikka with the popsickle stick front band and a F stamp on the barrel, but i didnt have 300, so it didnt follow me home. the guy also had another 1934 m27 tikka for the same price.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What no pictures! Dying to see that m/39 SOV. Maybe you ought to direct him over to this forum? :)
Wish I would have taken the camera, I would have taken a pic of his display. He did a real nice job on it. I was going back today to look around a bit more but the transmission on my beater car started to shift hard so I figured I better get it back to the house. He is a member so maybe he can post some pics in the future. I got his name and email but forgot to ask his Gunboards handle.

PAshutr3

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hey PAshutr 3! It was great talking with you to! It was like Stanley meeting Livingston!

The M39/Sov was ,,, as far as I know, legit. I borrowed it from a friend of my uncle who purchased it way before the mid-80s influx. I am going to put a few cell photos here of my display up now. I do want to get a few pics of the M39/Sov. The scope is a real PEM, and the mount Soviet not VKT, as I have read all M39/Sov are,,, but from what I have seen of Finn rifles, if there is some sort of a norm, but lots of variation,,, just when you imagined some standard.

The judges didn't think so highly of my display, not cowboy enough. =) Well really it would seem one could not find my sign saying "Finnish Infantry Weapons of WW2" and "Rifles of the White Death - Valkoisen Kuoleman Kiväärit - винтовки белой смерти"

I had a homemade [replica][inert!] of a satchel charge, ice mine, grenades, and molotov cocktail. There are a lot of Finnish-Americans in MT who knew the history, and enjoyed some tangebiles of the legend.

I suggest any and all of you out there display you Finn weapons at gunshows. They are a great way of telling one of the 20th Century's most dynamic histories. And don't forget to tell them Finland was the only nation to repay its WW1 and WW2 debts to the USA. This brought out the most raised eyebrows in this time of overspending and insane national debts!

Machine
Ammunition

·
Registered
958 Posts
Down loaded five photos from my old Canon digital. Again a real pleasure talking with you PAshutr3. In my display I had a photo album of 100 photos from the Winter, Continuation and Lapland War. Only one of several thousand people looked at it, a lovely young dark haired mother of two from Kansas. She turned every page and observed each page-sized picture in detail [you could see that] She asked me a dozen questions about skiing, the geo-politics of 1940 and the weapons in the photos and table. No she was not a judge, alas, sigh. Her opposites were every clown who grabbed the grenades, with a large "please do not touch" sign in front of them. Oh well nothing got hurt. Anyway, I show these pics not to show off but to tell you what a pleasure it is to discuss "riflemens rifles" with the shooting and collecting crowd, and just regular folks who enjoy these gun shows, and to motivate my bros on this site to show off a few of these finest and most interesting of weapons.

The SA stamps on the homemade M32 grenade and satchel charge is,,, homemade, copied from the Swede SA marked map case. I need to polish and blue the KP31 receiver. Yes I have a SBR permit/stamp. The Nagant and Tokarev pistols are not "SA" marked,,, but neither were most packed by most Finnish grunts. [what slang words do Finns call their infantryman? in WW2?]

Gun Firearm Rifle Shotgun Air gun
Gun Airsoft gun
Gun Antique tool Air gun Shotgun
Firearm Gun Ammunition Air gun Airsoft gun

·
Gold Bullet member
12,075 Posts
Very nice collection and display! Thanks for the photos. :thumbsup:

·
Gold Bullet member
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well as I had feared the judges were too close minded; anyway it was an outstanding display and I enjoyed talking with both you and Erik. I hope to see you at some future shows. I have to get to the Bozeman show as I haven't been to that one in years.

PAshutr3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts