Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
I just got curious, so i have to ask the question: does anibody live close to a famous/important historic site?
As i'm living in the middle of Belgium, there's military history in every direction. Bastogne and the ardennes are a mere 2 hours drive away, and in 3 hours you can reach the Normandy beaches. Flanders fields about 2 hours as well. And so on. Mons is like 50km from my place, but the closest "battlefield" must be Waterloo, only like a 20minutes drive from my front door.
Looking forward to your updates !
Best regards,
A

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,586 Posts
There are several sites from the Indian Wars nearby - Forts Laramie, Fetterman, and Mitchell are the closest. Paroled Confederate soldiers manned Fort Mitchell and fought Lakota & Cheyenne during the American Civil War.

Battle sites include the Rosebud, Little Bighorn, Wounded Knee and the "Wagon Box Fight". There are several others - those come first to mind. SW

·
Registered
884 Posts
Not much as battlefields go where I live currently, but back in Kentucky I lived about 10 miles from Fort Boonesboro, home of the famous Daniel Boone. There were also a few minor Civil War battlefields nearby- Perryville, Richmond, Wildcat Mountain, Mill Springs.

You're very lucky Andrey. I've always wanted to tour the great European battlefields. I really want to see Waterloo and Verdun for the sheer historical importance of those places and Bastogne and Mainz, two of the cities my grandfather fought in during World War II. He crossed the Rhine under fire twice in amphibious landing craft at Mainz. He said the Germans on the far bank had everything from 88s on down blasting away as they crossed the river.

·
Banned
40,069 Posts
In Utah we just have many Indian and Pioneer battle grounds, we have all the Mormon historical stuff like the Mountain Meadows Massacre. We also have the old Japanese internment camps during WWII.

Mountain Meadows Massacre is pretty interesting, the Mormon Militia massacred a bunch of men, women and children. This was denied for years and the Mormons removed the marker, but recently they admitted to it and replaced the monument.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_Massacre

·
Registered
10,407 Posts
I live in Mercer County, New Jersey, which is heavy on Rev War sites. Princeton Battlefield, Washington's Crossing, the Old Barracks and the Battles of Trenton, Monmouth
Battlefield, in Morris County, Jockey Hollow, numerous other sites. There is an annual reenactment on Christmas Day of Washington's Crossing, of the battles of Trenton and of
Monmouth.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
101,489 Posts
Well, I live in what the Chamber of Commerce claims is the oldest town in Texas - may even be true if you consider continuous habitation, which has been (including Caddos) going on since c. 1200 AD.

Fair amount of history here, houses dating to the Mexican days, places associated with people dating to late 17th Century Spanish colonial efforts. Places associated with people like Sam Houston (the house, and room, where he was baptised and confirmed in the Catholic Church in order to become a landholder survives for example). Could get to San Jacinto in about three hours. Two to Jefferson. Take about six to get to San Antonio and the Alamo. Around three to Sabine Pass. Some of the Louisiana (Red River Campaign) sites are less than a day away. About six hours to Vicksburg. Hour (about) to a Caddoan site with three surviving mounds.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I grew up in the shadow of Dorchester Heights in Boston MA. This is where Washington and his men mounted cannon and forced the British to evacuate Boston. USS Constitution just up the harbor, Lexington Green, site of the first shots fired in the Revolution, just outside town, Plymouth Rock and the Mayflower just down the coast. Lots of historic sites around here !

I just wish that the people in this state would stop emulating the former British powers with advocating heavy taxation and firearm confiscation etc.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
12,110 Posts
Fort Gibson of civil war and trail of tears fame is nearby and a couple of minor (they weren't so minor if you were involved) civil war battlefields are within an hour or so drive.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thx guys. It's been very interesting to read your input so far.
I always try to visit some historic places when travelling (from west-europe to east-europe and from SEA to USA). And yes, i'm fortunate to be located perfectly for a daytrip or a weekend trip to some very famous european places. Even if you find a region where no battles were fought, there's always a couple medieval castles about ...
Even made my own humble contribution to history during the war in ex-Yugo, but that's another story ;-)
I'll be looking for further posts !

Best regards,
A

·
Platinum Bullet Member
41,519 Posts
Nothing major here in Iowa, though there are plenty of sites where settlers fought indians, or indian massacres, burial grounds, historical treaty lines/boundaries and such. I suppose the American midwest is chock full of places like that.

Theres also about 40 known Revolutionary War veterans buried in Iowa, one about 15 miles from me. I find this significant only because I am 1000+ miles from the nearest Revolutionary War battleground, and most of these vets were dead before Iowa was even a state.

Oh and if you want to drive a couple hours in any direction, you can find places where Old West outlaws were born, lived, committed crimes, or died. (Or all of the above)

·
Registered
10,887 Posts

I live about thirty miles from Geronimo's grave. Notice that the head of the concrete eagle is a darker color. I've seen three different heads on it since 1980.

The local Apaches say it has something to do with this:

http://www.petitiononline.com/Geronimo/petition.html

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,232 Posts
Nothing military around here:(

I'm about a 25 minute drive from the gold discovery site at the American River, though. What's funny is that unlike the rest of the state and country, the tiny town I live in (and others around it) have much smaller populations now than they did during the Gold Rush and even as recently as the early 20th century. The result is that we have defunct railroad tracks way out here in the country, the ruins of blacksmiths' shops, etc.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I live within a 2 minute drive to the Chickamauga National Battlefield American Civil War (War of Northern Aggression). Which puts me about 20 minutes away from the birthplace of coca-cola (Chattanooga, TN). And I have a neighbor that claims to have the biggest collection of belly button lint, I've never seen it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.