Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have two 200 round battle packs of Hirtenberger patronenfabrik 7.62x51. The older ones date from 1979 and have a green primer sealant and no lot numbers on the boxes.
The newer ones date from 1990 and have a red primer sealant and lot number 90-0607.
Are these non corrosive and boxer primed?. Thanks in advance for your help. If needs be can sacrifice one of each date to see if boxer primed. Thanks in advance for your help. Both lots are in like new condition as if they just rolled off the factory floor.

As promised disassembled one each of the HP 7.62x51 rounds of each lot. So if anyone is interested here's what I found.

HP-79
Boxer primed, Bullet dia. .3075, bullet is attracted to a magnet.

HP-90
Boxer primed, bullet dia. .308, bullet is not attracted to a magnet.

And now it appears that I have 600 boxer primed cases for reloading when these lots are shot. Thanks again, Frank

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hirt is some of the finest Austrian surplus NATO ammo out there. All of it is non-corrosive.

It was produced in both Boxer and Berdan primed. The blue banded box was Boxer.

Primer sealant is not a good indicator.

Shoot it with confidence or stash it for later, you can't go wrong.

There is no more in the wild now.

Conelrad

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Have two 200 round battle packs of Hirtenberger patronenfabrik 7.62x51. The older ones date from 1979 and have a green primer sealant and no lot numbers on the boxes.
The newer ones date from 1990 and have a red primer sealant and lot number 90-0607.
Are these non corrosive and boxer primed?. Thanks in advance for your help. If needs be can sacrifice one of each date to see if boxer primed. Thanks in advance for your help. Both lots are in like new condition as if they just rolled off the factory floor. Frank
The Hintenberger ammunition is Patronen 58. It is a Austrian made version of the 1958 SS77 Belgian made 7.62x51. The primers are non-corrosive and berdan.

The accuracy between lots does seem to vary. A friend of mine who was a fan of the SS 69 rifle and had both the variant 1 and variant II. He said the accuracy of the rifles with select lots of the Pat. 58 was quite good and matched th ballistic cam of the 1969 and 1984 versions of the Kahles scope that went with the rifle, though I do not recall any exact results and so cannot say how good is good. My guess was something better than 1.5 MOA and poorer than 1.2 MOA, based on vague recollections of comparisons with GP11, which it seemed on par with according to his scoped results with some lots.

I do seem to recall in that discussion that some (or all?) lots of the cartridge had a similar cupronickel alloy as the Swiss GP11, that is copper/nickel washed mild steel, with around 16 to 18 % nickel, the rest copper. The reason it came up was he tried the same swiss cleaning method of using grease only then cleaning it out with a damp patch of Hoppes, then a dry patch and according to him the technique kept the first shot out of the bore in group.

Of course that as in a rifle with the dimensions optimized to the bullet. It might be worthwhile to measure the diameter of the bullets. If 7.82~7.83mm they will do very well indeed in US barrels. If 7.80 to 7.81 then you may have some issues based on bullet diameter. European match barrels had tighter bore and groove diameters than the US equivalent.

·
Copper Bullet member
8,954 Posts
All good info above, just wanted to add that the primer seal color has no load meaning or significance.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bought a ton of Hirt and Israeli IMI when they were dirt cheap all boxer primed then I started reloading them so now I guess I still have ton

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
B0B9C1DF-99D8-46C7-A0F7-CD1D5AFBA4FD.jpeg I have never had or seen on the internet any HP 7.62x51 with a nickel rich bullet jacket like GP-11. All in my experience has had guilding metal over steel or maybe plain guilding metal (copper color jacket).

The German makers have used the nickel over steel at times I believe.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
I might well be wrong, I am going from recollection, I am of the age where I can make mistakes, the memory is not what it once was. Perhaps I have mixed up DM41 with Patronen 58.

One of the wisest things my father told me was to take and keep notes when young and your memory still prefect, for it would not always be so.

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
I might well be wrong, I am going from recollection, I am of the age where I can make mistakes, the memory is not what it once was. Perhaps I have mixed up DM41 with Patronen 58.

One of the wisest things my father told me was to take and keep notes when young and your memory still prefect, for it would not always be so.
Happens to me all the time! I added Hirt pic above and German MEN pic here

Attachments

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks to all who responded to my post. Very useful info. Will pull one round out of each lot of the two mentioned,check priming and measure the bullet diameter. And of course write it down. Thanks again,Frank

·
Gold Bullet member
748 Posts
I shoot this exclusively through my semi StG58 kits. Going to have to check my stash for the blue banding. Glad I bought a bunch when Sportsmans guide had it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts