Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forums. I have this .22 cal. handgun and was going to clean it this morning after popping a landscape raiding armadillo. I tried to pull the slide back after depressing the take-down lever, but cannot remove the slide. Nothing I do will let me release the slide. Anyone have one of these pistols and have this type of problem? Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

·
Platinum Bullet member
677 Posts
H-D

With the hammer cocked , retract the slide to the rear and hold there . Push in and hold the knurled button on top of slide and push slide forward . This captures the recoil spring . Hold the take-down lever down and pull the slide off the rear .

Mitch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mitch:

I tried that and no go. I think the problem is the recoil spring has slipped out of its channel and is jamming everything up. When I pull the slide back it feels like it is running over the spring. I'm thinking I'm up the creek here. Hand pressure alone does nothing. Possibly a sharp blow from a brass or plastic hammer would break the spring and allow the slide to be removed. Hate to do that as it will probably break something else in there, but don't know what else to try.

·
Platinum Bullet member
677 Posts
Sorry Ron . I'm fresh out of paddles .

I'd hate to see you resort to the bigger hammer remedy . :(
Maybe a gentle tap or 2 ?

Best of luck . Fine pistols !

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
Given the current high value of this model, take it to a gunsmith!
Some things you can fix yourself, others are best left to a professional.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know John, I think those are wise words. This was my father's and a very sweet shooting pistol. I always like to fix things if I can but I'd hate to damage it. My father would probably be spinning in his grave if I did :).

·
Gold Bullet member
2,598 Posts
I love my HD but the rear sight is a headache, after a few shots it turns loose and moves freely sideways-How can I solve the problem??? tks-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Juan, I think I know the answer to your question, but don't know if this is something you'd want to do. The fix is to "stake" the sight. You adjust it to where you want it, then take a hardened punch and strike the slide right at the sight, at a 45 degree angle, pushing the slide metal against the sight, thus binding the metal against the sight. You do this in two places to secure the sight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Take it to a gunsmith. The HD is different than the other HiStandards. It can be damaged if not put back together correctly. I may have some info here at home that explains the difference. I had to put one back together that someone took completely apart. What a pain. I'll look this weekend for the info.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Did you get the slide off yet? You may want to depress the hammer a little with your thumb as you take the slide off. I think I had to do that once or twice.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,011 Posts
Is there a good source to explain the differences in the various Hi-Standard pistols? I obtained a box of parts for various semi automatic .22 target pistols including most of a Military H-D. My eventual goal is to get them sorted out and trade what I don't need for the rest of the parts to assemble the H-D.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts