Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm starting a ww2 rifle collection and my first purchase was last year for 150 bucks. I got a Lee Enfield no4 mk1. Didn't ask any questions just bought it thinking, well I've got England covered. Well now I've discovered a lot of people used the Lee Enfield and I'm trying to figure out who may have used mine (if anyone) and also who made it. First big thing I don't see the US property on the left of the reciever. All I can see there is what appears to be what's left of a circle with a c at the top a faint no4 mk a faint 303 Brit and on closer to the barrel a J.k. Or I.k.? Not sure. On to the wrist band it's a mess. All markings are on the left of the wrist band (opposite of the bolt handle). Most of the stampings here are on top of each other...like I said it's a mess. I can make out m 1943? Maybe 1948? AK and then sn 12855. The series number also appears right behind the bolt cooking piece on the stock ak above 12855. The one kinda looks like an I here though. This also appears behind the 1St barrel band on the under side of the stock. There are some faint markings behind the trigger guard looks like cb? and on further down write where the pistol grip ends an e (there are more faint markings but I can't make them out). On top of the reciever there are 3 things, what looks to be a half of a crown, under it a n and under it maybe like 3 numbers stamped on top of each other or a 5 coming out of a box? It has a non brass butt plate, and l shaped peep sight and a plunger to release the bolt. I'm thinking I have a royal ordnance Maltby but I'm not sure and was looking to you gurus for help. Any markings you guys can tell me what they mean would be greatly appreciated. Also this is my first post and I'm sorry if the answer was in plain sight. I'm new to gun collecting so I apologize for any and all mistakes I have made or may make on the way in my many upcoming posts lol. And one last thing if you guys would like pictures I can try and figure out how to do that as well.

Thanks, Tj Saxon.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
It's tough making a decent call by description alone. However your serial number leans towards ROF Maltby. The marks surrounding the 303 Brit should be the US import marks.

If you can add photos, you might get some more history and a better description of its traits.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I'll snap some pictures really fast, the history would be amazing to know. On a side note the marking are super faint so they may be hard to make out through. Thanks so for much for the fast response!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, sorry it took so long. The pictures are in no order since both the photobucket app and website are awful. Ill try to describe each photo.

Here is the rifle in general

no 4 mk? This is on the left of the receiver

2 semi circles one with a c the other not sure of the letter, 303 brit and l.k. I.k. marking?

M1943 ak 12855

I.K. marking

Half crown,n, 5s2?

Arrow of acceptance, cew? (I forgot to mention this one, it is by the front sight)

Ak 12855 on stock

CB behind trigger gaurd along with other markings that I cant really make out.

E on the end of the underside of the pistol grip

Half crown, n, and 5s2?

2 half circles and 303 up close

no4 mk?

Butt plate

i.k. again

and to end it all a picture of all my little collection so far these past few months.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
1943 Maltby. The little round stamps are typical Maltby inspection stamps. Also various (and typical) gov't inspection, subcontractor, and importer's stamps. Looks like a very nice original example from here. If you paid $150 for it, you got an extremely good deal indeed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadly he only had one, it was at a local pawn shop and the guy was a very honest man and told me he didn't know what type of gun it was and he had gotten it for free as part of a payment and didn't really want it. I honestly didn't and still don't know the guns value so I just tossed $150 out. And I don't think I should have got my German gun,the bolt and floor plate are non matching and I gave 700 for it soooo maybe that's why the gun God graced me with such a low price on the Lee Enfield lol. And gunitis is definitely flowing through my system, currently trying to decide between a C96, p08, Swede mauser or m1 carbine XD. Luckily my old lady enjoys the history I can tell with the guns so I can do this type of thing haha. And thanks so much guys for the info! So I have knocked the British fire arm off the list of trying to get a rifle from each force in ww2?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
A bolt mismatch isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Nope...I got my beat up old combat veteran '42 BNZ directly from the vet who brought it home and stuck it in a closet...it's got a mismatched bolt and floorplate. One of my "keep until the guy in the dark suit pats me on the face with a shovel" rifles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, will do :) thanks so much for all the info guys, I plan to get a few more Lee Enfields. I know Canada used them as well so I'd like to get a Canadian one and the US used a 1917. Where there any other powers that used Lee enfields?

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Tj_saxon: India and Australia manufactured and used the No. 1 Mk III or III*, England (at BSA) continued to manufacture and use the No. 1 into the early years of WW2. Canadians started the war with the No. 1 (British manufacture) before manufacture of the No. 4 at Long Branch. Other users included New Zealand. Since you have a No. 4 you might consider a No. 1 to get the full LE experience! You don't seem overly interested in the US rifles? How about a 1903 or 03/A3 Sprinfield or a Garand? The M1917 was much more important in WW1 when it outnumbered the 1903 in US service. It's a lot of fun figuring out what direction you want your collection to take.

Ruprecht

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the great deal of info again! I want a 1903 but it seems the high number or "safe to shoot" ones are high dollar items and I was honestly unaware that the 03A3 was used in ww2. I do want a M1 garand or carbine but I've kinda just kept those in the back of my mind since I've felt that they are "easy" to find lol. Which I know the mosin nagant I got was also easy to find but I got it from Allens Armory and I hadn't seen a 1925 izzy before and liked the markings and I also liked that the ones he sales don't have the billboard import marks. I have an interest in getting a gun from every power in ww2 just have, if I'm being honest limited knowledge on it all but I'm learning as I go. I know french- mas, Canada-lee Enfield, Italy-carcano, Japan-type 99 or 38, us- M1 garand or carbine or 1903 and now evidently an 03A3 and that's about all I have figured out. Just for giggles I plan to one day own a svt 40 and a g43 as well. But if I'm being honest I think I lean more towards liking the Lee's and German Armory.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.