Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys carry the hi cap maks (PMM, IJ70-18AH ect.) for concealed carry? If so, how well does it conceal? Do regular holsters for the PM fit and conceal it adequately? Are they comfortable to carry? Are there any reliability or accuracy issues with these weapons? Sorry, I probably sound like I'm interrogating you guys, but talk is cheap anyway! Any thoughts would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

~fox

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've thought about carrying mine but don't have a holster. I've thought about trying one of the Red Storm holsters. It looks to me like it would fit, just might have to stretch a little. The only concern I would have is to make sure your mags work properly. I've got one original and one aftermarket and (thankfully) they both work well. I've heard the aftermarket ones sometimes have issues.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I see no reason why not.
While I haven't tried any of the aftermarket holsters out there with mine, I see little reason why they wouldn't work.
The Hi-caps are just as accurate as any other Makarov out there...the only flaws are typically in the finish. The commercial russians don't quite seem to have the care/finesse put into them that many of the others out there do.
Also, the factory adjustable sight is a little sharp and likes to snag on your clothes...Makarov.com used to have a replacement fixed sight for this very reason (I have one, and it is SWEET!) No longer available, but there are companies out there that could make you a custom sight if you desired.

The only other issue would be magazines. For the most parts, the original 10/12 rounders are just fine...most of the problems come from the Pro-Mag magazines. My biggest problems with the Pro-Mags have been poor construction (They don't take long before they start developing cracks around the feed lips) and the springs are a little on the weak side.
2 of my 3 Pro-Mag magazines won't reliably feed steel-cased rounds...for whatever reason, they hang up after 2-3 rounds. Brass cased rounds seem to work find. They all seem to work fine in the original mags I've tried.

From what I've heard, th Pierce grip is the same width for the Hi-Cap as it is the single stack makarov...so if you had both with the pierce grip, they would feel the same in your hand. BUT...the single stack makarovs with other grips will be thinner--which is more easily concealed.
For plinking/target work, I enjoy the wider grip. I even put a hogue slip-on grip on mine. Feels great in my hands!

I love my IJ70-18AH.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Oh Yeah! 12+1, you gotta love it!

Yes! I just pulled it out with a Fobus OWB holster. I will be getting an IWB this week to conceal carry my Maks, I will post pics when I get it. I like the 12+1 capability, and mine is very reliable with no hiccups so far. All my Maks so far has been as reliable. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love to see some picures Timbo! Maks are great guns, and I would be happy carrying a regular cap model, but the extra 4 rounds of the hi cap model would be even more assuring to carry. Looking forward to the pictures! Thanks for the info guys!

~fox

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do any of you guys carry the hi cap maks (PMM, IJ70-18AH ect.) for concealed carry? If so, how well does it conceal? Do regular holsters for the PM fit and conceal it adequately? Are they comfortable to carry? Are there any reliability or accuracy issues with these weapons? Sorry, I probably sound like I'm interrogating you guys, but talk is cheap anyway! Any thoughts would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

~fox
Fox,
I've got a Mika holster that I had made for my Bulgie. It works just fine with my hi-cap.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/order.html

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
New home for Maks

Here is the CCW holster I mentioned. I have tried it with the Hi-Cap, and the Circle 10. I like the high back that serves as protection against the adj. sights digging in. I will use it primarily with the Duracoated Bulgie, because the finish will last like the Energizer Bunny for daily carry. I am very happy with the fit and finish. I have a set of black straps coming that are easily switched with a Phillips screw to match black belt.
View attachment 19865

View attachment 19861

View attachment 19862

View attachment 19863

View attachment 19864

·
Registered
2 Posts
Holster for Makarov IJ70-18AH

Last week I became the proud owner of the above pistol. I also purchased a Desantis Top Cop Paddle Holster. It's an excellent fit plus one of the most comfortable cc holsters that I've owned. I don't believe that you could go wrong with the Desantis........Happy Shooting!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mak Holster

:mad: Well, I got so carried away with my first post on this site that I left out some info that you MIGHT need! Sorry about that. The Desantis Top Holster that I referred to is made for the Kahr K40, P40, K9 and P9. I'll try to do better next time!:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.