Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Back in the early 90's I picked up 1906 M96 from the CG factory. I purchased this rifle from a rack of 20 for about $129 at a local gun show. It has some dings and the blue is at 60%, but the numbers all match. The brass disk indicates a groove diameter of 6.51 (no mark on outer band of numbers). and a bore diameter of 6.49, ( there is a mark above the 9 on the inner band of numbers.) The small pie shaped piece has no mark which I believe indicates a pristine bore. My understand is that the 6.46 represents the nominal bore and the 6.51 represents the nominal groove measurements. Are my measurements with in spec? When held to the light the bore is nice and shiny.

I also purchased an M96/38 dated 1905 from the CG factory with the exact same markings as the 1906! This gun is all matching with very nice blue finish on all metal parts and a very good condition stock. I purchased this rifle for $129 at one of our local gun shows back in the early 90's. When held to the light the bore is nice and shiny. I find it very odd to have 2 brass disks that are identical.

My boys are getting older and I would like to give them each a rifle when they become of age and are mature enough to understand that a bullet can't come back. I am trying to learn as much as I can to document the details for them when the time is right. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,691 Posts
Welcome to the forum . Bore disc are very common , so 2 identical ones is not out of the ordinary . There were over 700xxx Swedish Mausers made . You have your info mixed up , as these disc do not indicate groove diameter which is approximately 6.75 m/m , plus or minus . Both rows of numbers indicate the bore diameter from 6.46 m/m to 6.59 m/m in the large pie shaped section . Your bore size was 6.49 when the disc was marked & may be larger , depending on how many rounds have been fired through your rifle . Here is a link to give you some info on Swedish Mausers . Scroll down to the section on stock disc . I cannot think of a better gift for your sons !

www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/

Also , there is only one book worth buying on this subject , " Crown Jewels - the Mauser in Sweden , a Century of Accuracy & Precision " by Dana Jones . Well worth the $40/$50 price and highly recommended .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had some time to take a few pictures. I would love for someone to give me some insight on what I might have. The Rifle is a 1905 Carl Gustafs M96/38. Looks like the weapons inspector was Konrad August Berglund. Other than that information, I have no clue what wood I have. The picture makes the wood lighter than it really is. It is a darker reddish brown. More like a mahogany color. I have no idea what the "72" sticker is. The wrist cartouche is a single crown with no letter. The bore is nice and shiny with excellent riflling. The barrel is non-threaded. All numbers seem to match on the outside. I have not had the courage to disassemble the rifle until I find clear directions.

Thanks in advance:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to add that I am missing a cleaning rod. I bought it so long ago, I can't remember if one came with it. I will check my gun safe and a cleaning kit just to make sure that I did not separate it from the gun. I maybe in the market for a replacement, if one does not turn up.

On more comment, I originally bought this rifle thinking it would be a good deer gun. I was always more of a shooter/collector, Don't worry, this gun will not be "bubbafied". :) Would it make any of you "true" collectors cringe, if I were thinking of a MOJO rear sight? From my understanding the MOJO does not require permanently altering the rifle. I would like to take this gun on a deer hunt, but I want to dial the accuracy in before I hunt. thanks in advance.

·
9,691 Posts
Yes , The Mojo sight is acceptable . Just keep your rear sight . I have a some cleaning rods if you cannot find yours ( $10 + shipping ) . The original stock wood was French walnut ( European walnut ) . The linseed oil finish used by the Swedes turns a reddish color with age . The only time the Swedes use mahogany was during the WW1 ( 1915-1917 ) time period . It looks like French walnut . If mahogany , it would be a replacement stock from the WW1 period . The white "72 " sticker is an inventory tag from 1972 . Your barrel is a replacement , as it has the M-38 tangent rear sight base with a "T" sight calibrated for the 139 grain military M-41 ammo . The 4 holes are for a range plate . There are 2 versions for M-38 rifles . See the photo , you need the one on the right with " spetskula " in the upper right corner . I don't have any of those for sale , sorry .

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thanks for the information. One last question, is the rifle sighted for 300 hundred yards or 100 yards? My confusion comes from the new M38- tangent rear sight. I never thought about a new barrel. So the receiver must have seen a whole lot more action than I thought. Makes sense, since the barrel is bright and shiny with excellent rifling.

·
9,691 Posts
Actually the " T " sight is calibrated from 150 meters to 600 meters , as can be clearly seen on the ladder . So , the front sight blade should be zeroed at 150 meters with the M-41 ammo .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information. I guess when I get the MOJO sight, I can zero in, but it is nice to know that I can zero in at 150 meters with the rear sight that I have. I am assuming that I will hit a little high if I shoot a target closer than 150 meters, as the bullet is still climbing.

·
9,691 Posts
I believe the Mojo comes with its own taller front blade . It won't work with the standard Swede front blade . So , You cannot be switching sights back & forth with the same front blade .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.