Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,363 Posts
Not so much.... while no Enfield should be treated that way. If you are going to such a thing, that is not a bad way to do it. Besides, it could have already been a very altered Enfield and ugly as crap like most of them are and some one turned it into that. At least it is a very useful rifle again. The Enfield platform is an excellent beginning for a project rifle. I have bought two Enfield babba'd guns (one for $30 and the other for $50) and had fun turning them into very nice looking and useful deer rifles.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
I know NOTHING about Enfields...but, that firearm is just plain lame!...yuk!...fugly!...gross!...

:barf:

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
I have seen/owned worse and brought them back. The cheek rest is, um, novel, but at least I see some purpose and reasonable execution in what has been done. Would I buy it for what the guy has in it? Probably not, but if it showed proven accuracy, I would not dismiss it just for looks.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Is there any point in the foresight? It doesn't look to me as though there is any way to use it.
As Bubba's go I think I have seen worse...and if it filled a long winter and used an already butchered rifle.... I'm with the - I've seen worse crowd and if it is accurate.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey Guys! I am new to the Enfield forum. I just bought an Enfield 1917 SHT L.E. rifle that Bubba turned into a Deer Rifle. It was $200.00. I am a C&R collector so for the price I jumped in. I would really like to bring this rifle back to Military version. It is numbers matching, barrel, receiver, bolt. Bubba cut down the stock and re finished it, no cartouches. Bubba also put 1 inch weaver mounts and a TASCO 3-9x40 scope on it. To do this he cut off the front and rear sights and then filled the holes with weld, then grounded them smooth to barrel. Can I bring this back? I like doing small gunsmithing jobs, but re-drilling and tapping hole for both sites is way out of my league.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Hey Guys! I am new to the Enfield forum. I just bought an Enfield 1917 SHT L.E. rifle that Bubba turned into a Deer Rifle. It was $200.00. I am a C&R collector so for the price I jumped in. I would really like to bring this rifle back to Military version. It is numbers matching, barrel, receiver, bolt. Bubba cut down the stock and re finished it, no cartouches. Bubba also put 1 inch weaver mounts and a TASCO 3-9x40 scope on it. To do this he cut off the front and rear sights and then filled the holes with weld, then grounded them smooth to barrel. Can I bring this back? I like doing small gunsmithing jobs, but re-drilling and tapping hole for both sites is way out of my league.
Unless you are doing it as a pure labor of love, bringing that rifle back to something resembling original condition is going to cost quite a bit more than you will be able to get for the rifle once you have finished with it.

Typically, you will need to find a rifle with completely unmessed-with barrel, sights, and receiver, and preferably with a matching bolt, in the neighborhood of $100-$125 to have a decent chance at breaking even on a restoration.

Best to sell that one to somebody that needs a truck gun and start hunting around for a more eligible prospect.

EDIT: Sorry. I didn't really pick up on it being a Mk.V. That changes the economics significantly, but also makes the project far more difficult to complete.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Your No,1mk V ,brings tears to my eyes ~ I have a good friend down in central WV who has your rifles twin,could be bubba did 2 at the same time.I get a shot at restoring it on 6/18. It's not going to be easy. parts are hard to find for the Mark Five.I have never owned one and it's the last rifle on my bucket list ,that I can afford. I may have to buy or trade for it. 6/26/16 I own it now ! It had the correct rear sight on it ,thank God ! I'm now looking for front wood,top and bottom,I've been holding on to a front band for some 25 + years,sound wisdom !

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,363 Posts
There is no bringing that bubba back. The receiver is not good, the barrel is not good, the stock is not good. What you have is a magazine and a bolt that is untouched. It is a hunting rifle and that is it. I hunt with a No. 4.. they are great deer rifles for the Maine woods. Finding a complete nice looking stock set will cost you what you paid for that gun. So.. you would be into it for $400 already and still have a cut up, drilled and tapped receiver and a cut barrel. It is not worth it in any shape of form.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks Guys. I am heart broken but happy I have an Enfield. I will keep it as a Deer/Hog gun. Texas has a lot of both, so it wont be a safe queen. I will just keep looking for a new and affordable Enfieldable for my bucket list. It does not have be a collector just a good looking shooter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.