Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the day off and in the course of my travels I stopped at the LGS were I had seen (and posted on Feb. 4th) the sporterized "Jungle carbine". The shop still has the carbine on the rack but it had since been joined by a No 4 Mk 1. Serial Number PF 55850, matching bolt, canvas sling. 11/48 (F). Looked it over. It is now home with me.

Needs a good cleaning. Black paint on the receiver walls. Bore looks really good and the rifling is excellent. Still has cosmoline in the receiver area. Has a U with an arrow inside on top of the receiver. South African possibly?

Will post images within the next 1-2 days. My BSA Dispersal Rifle was happy to have a new acquaintance.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Yes "Union of South Africa"
There were at lest 3 versions of it leading to the belief the "U" was one stamp & the Broad Arrow another.
U, large broad arrow facing IN
U, large road Arrow facing OUT
U, smaller Broad Arrow.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please find attached several images for consideration. Discovered that the magazine SN is not a match to the rifle. Canvas sling came with the rifle, no obvious markings seen. Nothing in the Butt Stock compartment. No markings or stampings on the recoil pad.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cleaned the barrel, receiver and bolt earlier this evening. Lightly wiped down the stock with Ballistol. No longer has that "sticky feeling" when handling. Residual cosmoline (or very dried grease) in the magazine and breach area.
My plan is to take her to the indoor range Sunday and see what she does.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally made it to the range this past Sunday and ran 20 rounds through the No4 Mk1 at 35 yds. Not to bad for first time out. Had the Smith Corona 03A3 with me as well and put 20 rounds down range as well. Targets attached. Point of aim was the black cross.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,102 Posts
good shooting, and looks like a good load for the 03,

I cannot imagine shooting a 303 or 3006 in an indoor range,,,
that had to have been deafening

·
Registered
13,511 Posts
What bullet are you using in the Enfield?

They originally used 174gr flat-based with diameters ranging from .310 to .312 depending on who/when/where.

·
Registered
7,898 Posts
Scale of the target makes those 30 cal holes look like 10 gauge slugs on this end. When the weather breaks those rifles need zeroing on the 50-100-200 yard ranges. You should be OK with your groups. The SC shows a lot of promise.

Lyman, on the 75ft indoor ranges I used ear plugs under my headphones whenever possible. Firing isn't too bad. Those sharing the range with you may sometimes complain. Problem when certain models of headphones prevent getting a proper weld on the stock though.
Back when I had a TC Contender, my 10" .223 barrel disrupted everyone in a very bad way. That was one barrel I had to leave at home many times.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Using 150gr Spitzer bullets in the Enfield. Do not have anything heavier or I would be trying that instead. We had our 1st Gun Show of the new year this past weekend. The last 2-3 have been cancelled. Bought a loose box (9 rounds) of Remington .303 from one guy. $9 for the partial box. $1 a bullet. Only .303 ammo, or brass, I could find and that wasn't even on the table. Was in an ammo can under the table.

When at the indoor range I use ear muff type hearing protection.

Weather is beginning to break here and dreams of the outdoor range are growing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.