Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its an S18-1000 firing the 20mm X 138 B and used for anti-tank work, or at least originally intended for that. These were made in Solothurn, Switzerland and sold all over the world in the late 30's and early 40's. I think the Italians were the biggest users and I'm not sure if the Swiss used them officially at all. I have seen a couple pics of Swiss soldiers firing one but that doesn't always mean much.
I'm looking for accessories for this gun. Things like the cleaning and gunners kits, the transit chest and manuals in any language. Any help is appreciated.

I'll post some better pics next week when I can take some outside in the sunlight.

Thanks all

Frank in Indiana

·
Premium Member
105,713 Posts
I know a guy who has one. $55.oo per bullet to fire. One helluva good time to watch though. It makes a smooooooth hole when fired through about an inch thick piece of steel.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm loading my own ammo so its not quite as bad as $55 / rd but its not as cheap as shooting an MG42 or my favorite DP. We use US 20mm training projos that have had the driving bands turned down just a little. The difference in the US and European spec for 20mm bore is the reason for that. The cases will last for 3 to 5 reloadings if you are careful and there are enough guys shooting this round that there are people making brass. The powder is from US 20mm vulcan rounds that have been surplussed and demilled. Primers are for the US .50 . Cost of all the material to load a round is probably 8 buck a round plus the time it takes to do it. I spend almost an hour per round prepping the case and doing the actual loading so I'd say hobby cost is about $20-25 per shot. I used to own and shoot a lahti anti tank rifle which shoots the same round so I do have some experience with it. The Solothurn is the cadillac of these rifles and in my opinion easier to shoot than the lahti.
For the Lahti I made some solid brass weighing 2360 grains. My buddy fired a few of them through both sides of a US M113 armored personell carrier at about 400yd range. The 113 has aluminum armor about 4 inches thick. He said there were .50 cal penetrators all over the floor of the APC and the brass 20mm looked like it drilled through the armor even on the far side. We fired some of the training projos through steel plate at a couple hundred yards too so they don't need to be armor piercing to do it. The 1500 gr training projos are doing about 3000 fps at 10yd from the muzzle. Hard to measure muzzle velocity because the blast knocks the chronometer over when its that close....

Frank

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Accessories for anti-tank weapon

I would think non-steroidal inflammatories would be a minimum to handle the shoulder pain. Percoset may be advisable...;)

Thanks for sharing this unique rifle!!!:)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Recoil on these is not so bad as you might imagine. The gun weighs 118lb without the mag or ammo. The muzzle brake reduces the recoil a bit and the action is recoil operated so that absorbs more energy. Its no worse than a 12ga shotgun to tell the truth and when I load ammo I don't have the original weight projos which were 2300gr, I only have 1500gr US training projos for the 20mm vulcan. Kind of like downloading the 30-06 with 110grainers for your kids.....my wife shoots these and the gas operated lahti without complaint so it can't be too bad.

Here are some more pics as promised. This time in sunlight with some other swiss semi autos for size comparison. The wood stocked rifle is an AMT in .308 and the other is a PE57 in 7.5 swiss.

pic one is the solo with the barrel removed flanked by the PE and AMT

next is with the barrel installed

another view

next is the ID plate

and last is a comparison of the 10rd solothurn mag and a PE57

Frank

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Denny,
the AMT is actually a standard one. I installed a 510-4 barrel from one of the chilean parts kits along with the wood and the bolt so I could shoot it and still save the original parts from wear and damage. There is some very nice walnut under the grease in those part sets....
Frank

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
A funny story about that Solothurn. Many Many years ago an importer had some for sale. While I was in the shop, buying something else, the salesman told me about an IDIOT who wanted to see how strong the return spring was. So he cranked back the bolt, stuck his finger oin the ejection port, and pulled the trigger! Nuff said.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats a good one John. I think that would require a real brain donor to do that especially since the ejection port cover closes as the bolt goes forward. Maybe its a hint to "keep your damn paws outa the way". We fired about 10rds last week but haven't had a chance to shoot any plates yet. My buddy with the plates hasn't been able to play yet but hopefully this week. I've got a couple of my brass 2360gr projos left and I'm anxious to find out if they will go through 1.5" of steel at 250yds.....

Frank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts