Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
.... scope is roughly made about 1950...vaughn
Vaughn,

Is there a published source somewhere with Hensoldt serial numbers by year? I've seen other experts provide dates for Kahles, Zeiss, etc scopes and I've always wondered what reference materials they are using. This information would be very helpful for other collectors, and would add greatly to the collected body of knowledge.

Thanks!
Peconga in Boise, Idaho

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have 12908 any idea when made?
Most likely before WW2, since it is marked "Made in Germany" not "West Germany" or "DDR".

We'll have to wait for Vaughn to check in with more specifics.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,096 Posts
Before WW2, since it is marked "Made in Germany" not "West Germany" or "DDR".

We'll have to wait for Vaughn to check in with more specifics.
Hate to break it to you, but West Germany was the BRD (Bundesrepublik Deutschland), the DDR (Deutsche Demokratishe Republik) was East Germany, unless that's what you meant?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hate to break it to you, but West Germany was the BRD (Bundesrepublik Deutschland), the DDR (DEutsche Demokratishe Republik) was East Germany, unless that's what you meant?
Not exactly news, my friend, especially since I attended University in the BRD and crossed over to the DDR on more than one occasion (in fact I still have have a few Ossi coins rattling around in a cookie tin somewhere...)

I was referring specifically to the country of origin markings commonly used on export products during that period: "Made in West Germany" or "Made in DDR".

·
Gold Bullet member
2,096 Posts
Not exactly news, my friend, especially since I attended University in the BRD and crossed over to the DDR on more than one occasion (in fact I still have have a few Ossi coins rattling around in a cookie tin somewhere...)

I was referring specifically to the country of origin markings commonly used on export products during that period: "Made in West Germany" or "Made in DDR".
Okay... but all Hensoldt scopes were made in the BRD, although they were owned by Carl Zeiss in the post-war years, who were headquartered out of the DDR, but Hensoldt scopes should never have been marked "DDR".

·
Registered
189 Posts
Okay... but all Hensoldt scopes were made in the BRD, although they were owned by Carl Zeiss in the post-war years, who were headquartered out of the DDR, but Hensoldt scopes should never have been marked "DDR".
Okay, now we have managed to thoroughly convolute history and confuse everyone :) Here is the long version which I hope clears things up:

Since the company's founding in the 1840s, the headquarters for the original Carl Zeiss company was located in Jena, Germany. At the end of WW2, Jena was temporarily occupied by American forces. During that time, many of the leading Zeiss scientists and engineers were relocated by the Americans to Stuttgart (later Oberkochen) Germany where they started a rival company under the same name (in what was to become the BRD aka West Germany). Following realignment of occupying forces, the Americans withdrew from Jena since it was now part of the Russian zone (later the DDR aka East Germany). Although the Russians carted off much of the Zeiss machinery as war reparations (to Kiev), the original Carl Zeiss factory in Jena was eventually able to resume production in the late 1940s. This meant there were two separate companies making optical products under the "Carl Zeiss" name in the post-WW2 era.

In order to sort out the mess, what followed was one of the longest court cases in German history (finally settled in 1973). Under the final agreement, they sliced up the world market into two parts with the East German Zeiss company using the trade names "Carl Zeiss - Jena" and "aus Jena" while the West German Zeiss company used the trade names "Carl Zeiss" and "Opton". Following German reunification in 1991, the two companies eventually merged and are now part of the larger Zeiss Gruppe.

Hensoldt was an independent optical company acquired by Carl Zeiss in 1928, and has been operated as a subsidiary with complementary (and sometimes overlapping) product lines ever since. Hensoldt was (and still is) based in Wetzlar, Germany which is in the state of Hesse. Wetzlar was in the American occupation zone which became part of the BRD aka West Germany. Hensoldt products made for export would have been marked "Made in Germany" or "Made in West Germany" (depending on vintage) never "Made in DDR".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.