Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello, my name is kody and i need some help on my k98 mauser. it was passed down from my grandfather then to my dad, now onto me. i have never shot this rifle or know much about it. i want to take it to a range but would like to make sure its fine too shoot. i live near akron ohio and if anyone knows of a place that may specialize in these guns please let me know. some info: it was made in 1937, has s/243 stamped above date. it says 4797 on the side with a b under it. to the right of the date it has 3 eagles, all purched on swatstikas i think and has 211 under them i think. on the back of the bolt, on the safety, and on bolt lever it has the number 3230 stamped. under the sight it has a k. not sure how much of this info is irrelevent or not but hopefully i can get some good feedback. thank you Gun Rifle Firearm Shotgun Trigger
Revolver Muffler

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

From your description it sounds like you have a bolt mismatch K98k, which are very common among rifles brought home by veterans. Since the bolt serial does not match the receiver, it might not be a bad idea to have a gunsmith check the headspace to ensure it is safe to fire. Call around to local gun shops, and I am sure one of them could check this for you or direct you to a local gunsmith who can do so.

Also, post some pictures of your rifle if you have the capability. The rifle was manufactured by Mauser Borsigwalde (S/243) in 1937 which is not a very common rifle.

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,736 Posts
It's a bolt mismatch "sporter". Unfortunately with its original stock that is now butchered (with added checkering) and non matching but matching to itself bolt... It's a $350-$500 rifle depending on bore condition. Enjoy it. The collector value is pretty much gone but at least you have your family history tied into it. If it had its original unmessed with stock then $1000 bucks value would not be out of the question for a s/243 vet bring back bolt mismatch.

Btw, it's definately not 9mm. It's 7.92x57, 8mm Mauser (American market underpowered), or 8x57js (European full power).... These 3 choices are essentially the same caliber and what shoots in a k98k.

·
Gold Bullet Member
885 Posts
When you have a gunsmith look it over and check the headspace, you can also ask them to verify if it's still in the original 8mm Mauser caliber. You can learn about ammo options on the ammo forum here on gunboards. If you decide to shoot older military surplus ammo, be sure to clean the same day following normal guidelines for cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo. Modern ammo will be non-corrosive and doesn't require the same day attention that corrosive ammo does. When I shoot non-corrosive ammo in my Mausers I sometimes don't clean them until after the next trip to the range which could be a month or more later.

·
Gold Bullet member
995 Posts
hello, my name is kody and i need some help on my k98 mauser. it was passed down from my grandfather then to my dad, now onto me. i have never shot this rifle or know much about it. i want to take it to a range but would like to make sure its fine too shoot. i live near akron ohio and if anyone knows of a place that may specialize in these guns please let me know. some info: it was made in 1937, has s/243 stamped above date. it says 4797 on the side with a b under it. to the right of the date it has 3 eagles, all purched on swatstikas i think and has 211 under them i think. on the back of the bolt, on the safety, and on bolt lever it has the number 3230 stamped. under the sight it has a k. not sure how much of this info is irrelevent or not but hopefully i can get some good feedback. thank you View attachment 544807 View attachment 544808
also, my dad told me he shot it back in the day, but said it takes 9mm...i know it works atleast haha

Welcome to the forums..... This is a typical sporter pattern k98 that was done back the day of turning a bring back souvenir into a deer rifle. It was your grandfathers gun to with as he saw fit. Need clearer pictures in better lighting of the stock work to determine quality of stock work. Some look nice cleaned up. Others have been hacked by inexperienced wood working.
It is a bolt mismatched rifle that has lost its collectability to a military configuration collector (sporterized stock, missing front barrel band, bayonet lug, cleaning rod). However, there are niche collectors for sporterized military rifles. Depending on bore $200-400 is a reasonable value on these. Caliber changes affect the value as well. I have seen examples as low as $125 for these.

This could be restored to full military configuration if still in original 8mm caliber, with replacement parts.

The statement about it shooting 9mm brings up a red flag. The caliber size needs to checked/verified before taking it off to the range! Should be a nice shooter though...

How is the bore?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.