Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this 1888/24 Steyr rifle for a number of years. It was converted to 8x57. I've shot it a few times, with the understanding that it isn't a very strong action and would be stressed by full-power 8x57 loads. I'm looking to sell it in the near future and would like to include information about what the darned thing is, i.e. its history, especially of the conversion. Evidently there aren't alot of them around. It's an attractive rifle in nice condition (the reason I bought it, not knowing anything about its background). Here are a couple of photos. And thanks for any help on history!

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,337 Posts
According to the book FN Mauser Rifles, the 'burning bomb with L' is a Belgian proof mark for rifles not made in Belgium. That would suggest a conversion done in Belgium.

The proof mark indicates it was successfully fired with a proof load cartridge by people who knew what they were doing.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,337 Posts
Belgian M1888/24
Cartridge7.92x57mmLength~43.6″Weight??lbsSling SwivelsUnderBayonet LugPresent
This gun remains something of a mystery. We know that it was converted to 7.92mm in Belgium (much like the Yugoslavian M95M). They feature Mosin-Nagant styled sights and full handguards. But, who was expected to use it? It may have been put together for expected export in China given the cartridge, but this is speculation. Even the date is uncertain and is actually taken from the association with the M95M. This gun is credited for causing early confusion about possible Belgian production of the M95/24.
We do know that roughly 5,000 were later provided to Greece as aid during WWII, so this is the strongest association with the gun.

from: http://candrsenal.com/a-quick-and-dirty-guide-mannlichers-straight-pull-rifles/

·
Administrator
12,029 Posts

·
Administrator
12,029 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts