Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I am thinking about outfitting my Russian SKS with the spare PU scope I have. After talking to some people about scoping and SKS I've decided to actually drill and tap instead of the conventional way everybody does it. This: http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=485
this is what I think I should get for it.

Any thoughts, recomendations, evaluations will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Don't Scope That Russian!!!

Personally, I would not drill and tap the receiver for a scope mount, especially on a Russian SKS. Unless you are shooting out past 200 yards, the iron sights should work just fine with a little practice.

If you still insist on scoping an SKS, I would look for a cheap Chinese or Yugo SKS instead.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Scope/Mount Package deals

I was thinking about some of these package deals that you see advertised where you have something like a 4 X scope mounted on a receiver cover, and you just replace that. Any suggestions as to which of these might be better? I see them advertised at the Centerfire Systems site and in Sportsman's Guide, etc.. I have a Yugo 59/66 and trust one would fit.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Advancing years and "not quite so sharp" eyesight led me to investigate scoping an SKS, one of my favorite milsurps - I'd NEVER alter my 99.99% '51 Tula so got myself a "joe average" YUGO 59/66 recently with very good bore to install a Kalinka side mount POSP scope setup on. Very simple rock solid installation, looks "factory", and works really well.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I was thinking about some of these package deals that you see advertised where you have something like a 4 X scope mounted on a receiver cover, and you just replace that. Any suggestions as to which of these might be better? I see them advertised at the Centerfire Systems site and in Sportsman's Guide, etc.. I have a Yugo 59/66 and trust one would fit.

Most folks seem unhappy with the scopes mounted on the receiver cover.
They aren't all that stable and accuraccy suffers.
There is one from scoutmount.com (?) that replaces the rear sight & seems to be highly thought of.
I saw it over on SurplusRifleForum a while ago.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Personally, I would not drill and tap the receiver for a scope mount, especially on a Russian SKS. Unless you are shooting out past 200 yards, the iron sights should work just fine with a little practice.

If you still insist on scoping an SKS, I would look for a cheap Chinese or Yugo SKS instead.
as the years pass and your eye sight starts to fail, your opinion may change.

why not have a russian sks with a high quality scope job? before some of you guys slam me for that statement. not all russian sks's are collector pieces. yes some are worth rescuing. like my 1949 russian that came with a spray-on camo job. it took me over 20 hours, 2 boxes of Q-tips and concentrated orange based cleaner to remove the camo paint and not hurt the original finish. some have already been bubba'ed. take a 1954 tula referb with 30 rd detachable mag and replacement receiver cover. the original receiver cover and mag were sold on ebay. the damage has already been done. does this poor russian have any collector value, no it does not. it's value is based on it being a shooter.

a guy on sksboards did a great job on a chinese

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=32473.0

centerfire had some russian mounts
http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/081104000/81104898/pix3524865781.jpg

almost forgot. hows this for a scope job on a yugo? this one was done by interordance about 4 years ago.

http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/080426000/80426389/pix2578783671.jpg

·
Registered
393 Posts
know whats funny about these drill and tap threads?

20-30 years from now someone is going to find that rifle,and there will be a discussion here on GunBoards as to what was someone thinking about when they did that to such a nice rifle,lol,,somewhat akin to what we say/discuss about K98's now when we find a deer slayer from yesteryear when they were considered cheap "junk" rifles that would make a nice hunting rifle

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wouldn't alter a nice Russian either. It will most likely always have some additional value to collectors as a genuine historical artifact. With so many other choices out there which wouldn't depreciate nearly as much with the modification it would be something of a waste, IMO.

FWIW, some SKS receivers are very hard. Drilling and tapping this sort of material successfully can be a somewhat delicate operation, and it is all-too-easy to inadvertently snap-off a drill or tap in the process. Removing the broken tool is a real PITA, and the results of an unsuccessful attempt can be irreparable.

The results of my own experience with a receiver cover mount have been quite positive. The job must be approached and performed with a great deal of care and patience to obtain good results, but it isn't technically difficult.

The crucial factors are maintaining the exact angle of engagement on the forward "points" of the mount when removing material and removing only the barest minimum necessary to obtain a slight, but firm, resistance to closing the take-down lever pin. This is most easily accomplished by the use of a clean, high quality file, Prussian blue or other layout fluid on the areas where material is to be removed, and a firm tap with a non-marring rubber or plastic mallet applied to the rear surface of the cover with every fit test to determine exactly the degree of contact and where it is being made.

The Keng's mount I fitted to my commercial Chinese model with this method has virtually no discernable vertical or lateral 'play' after at least 3K rds. and returns to original 'zero' to within 1 'click' of W or E (at most) after dismounting for cleaning and reinstallation. More often than not, no adjustment is required. Plenty good enough for my modest needs, and on the same order as most of the high-buck "QD" systems I've encountered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts