Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this rifle many years ago but am just now getting around to researching and cleaning it up. It is a Romanian contract VZ 24 imported by Century Arms around 1992. The receiver has Zbrojovka BRNO, A.S.V.Z. 24 stamped as well as the serial number, TR105xx. It also has cm with a circle above the serial, I have read that is a Romanian acceptance stamp. There is no date nor crest on the receiver. There is a "M" nearly enclosed in a box stamped at the bottom part of the forward tang. It has no stamps on the mag house but a "Z" in a circle on the rear sight, safety, and safety lug. The stock has seen plenty of battle and has the same serial number as the reciever, It also has a "6" on the barrel bed. The barrel has no stamps. The bolt has "C1" at the handle base and a lion on the bolt handle head but no serial number.It came with no sling or cleaning rod but has a front sight cover.

I have several questions.
1. Was a date and crest stamped on the receiver when made?
2. Is there a table that can roughly date when this was made? Based off the letter and serial, I guess this is about the 410,000 rifle made.
3. Is the CM in a circle a Romanian acceptance stamp?
4. Would the cleaning rod have been blued or left in the white?
5. Would the reproduction VZ24 sling found on the internet such as Liberty Tree be the best approximation of what the Romanians used?
6. Any books to recommend that cover the VZ 24 well?

Thanks,
Bob
IMG_1586 (640x480).jpg IMG_1585 (640x480).jpg

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Personally i believe Your rifle was made in 1941, the bolt is probably a replacement, when any slovak doubblecross/tree hills on pistol grip then Your rifle was made in Povazska Bystrica plant, when not there similar mark, the rifle was made in Brno, the MC and CM are romanian acceptance stamps. The rifle is probably a 5th block of the third romanian contract.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The "CM" stamp is from the Copsa Mica Aresnal in Romania, most likely an acceptance or rebuild stamp. Based on the siderail address, the rifle was made after March 16, 1939. On that day German invaded Czechoslovakia. Rifles made prior to the invasion were stamped Czechoslovenska Zbrojovka A.S., Brno VZ.24 Since Germany took over the Czech lands and declared them the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia and the Slovak Republic was declared an independant country, Czechoslovakia no longer existed, thus "Czechoslovenska" was removed from the rifle's siderail address. Your rifle most like had a crest on the top of the reciever ring. If it was made prior to September 6, 1940 it would have the crest of King Carol II or Romania, if it was made after that date, it would have the crest of King Michael I. The crest of King Carol II was a wreath with two interlocked letter C's. The crest of King Michael I is four letter M's in the form of a cross. The royal crests were scrubbed off of the rifles after the 9ommunists took over the country in 1948.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts